DBT upgrade for those big amps, or a welder...

...How many volts to give the 75w?

Using direct measurement of lamp voltage and current with multimeters (as opposed to using a Kill-A-Watt on the primary side). I find that something on the order of 10 to 12Vac and 4.4 to 4.8A gives about the type of warm glow I'm after.

Need to get it set up in the space though to give a better evaluation of the light level. Don't want it to be too distracting.

That's gonna radiate a lot of heat, whether at full juice or part-throttle, just so you know. Found that out the hard way with a 300 watt in my dbt/variac. At orange glow, I touched it-yeeoww, that sucker's hot as hell!:eek:

Hey,you've already embarked on the big,why stop now? Go with one of these:

Lg_dimmer.jpg
That's an awesome lookin' thang, what is it? A Rheostat? An autotransformer? I only see three connections . . .

That's an awesome lookin' thang, what is it? A Rheostat? An autotransformer? I only see three connections . . .

Ward Leonard rheostat. Generally used in theatre lighting applications,and when they're ''dimming'' they can heat the house at the same time.I posted it because I remembered seeing these in a Montreal theatre long ago.

Ward Leonard rheostat. Generally used in theatre lighting applications,and when they're ''dimming'' they can heat the house at the same time.I posted it because I remembered seeing these in a Montreal theatre long ago.
Just another reason for me to want to break into the 100+ year old theater here in town. Its been closed up for about 25 or more years. They still used the old Altec speakers mounted in the stage when it was open.

Just another reason for me to want to break into the 100+ year old theater here in town. Its been closed up for about 25 or more years. They still used the old Altec speakers mounted in the stage when it was open.

That would be fun I'd bet.
I used to love exploring abandoned buildings back in the day (we had plenty to explore in the rust belt during the 80's) but it seems like a good way to get arrested now. Back then if the cops found us they'd ask where's the beer, when we explained we were just exploring they'd look at us like we were nuts and tell us to go home.

Back
Top Bottom