dbx driverack. Anyone here knowledgeable about These?

bryans12v

Marantz / Altec Junkie
Ive always wanted to attempt an active biamp setup. This is my first attempt and want to make sure I do it right but need some general advice.

I recently picked up the dbx driverack pa2 and all the needed cabling. I assume the chain would go from souce>preamp>driverack>power amps>speakers.

My question is in regards to the power amps. In the dbx setup wizard it requests the power amps be attenuated to just before clipping with the pink noise test within the setup wizard. Problem is, my power amps do not have gain controls. Would I just use the volume on my preamp here? I' totally new to this stuff and could use any guidance!

My question is in regards to the power amps. In the dbx setup wizard it requests the power amps be attenuated to just before clipping with the pink noise test within the setup wizard. Problem is, my power amps do not have gain controls. Would I just use the volume on my preamp here? I' totally new to this stuff and could use any guidance!

I wouldn't worry about it. It is basically a suggested way to set up a system aiding in getting the least amount of noise and hiss but maximum performance at any listening level. Other things like speaker ratings and distortion levels might come into play also depending on your system.

Not being familiar with your equipment, I can only surmise that if your preamp is quiet to begin with, you probably won't have any problems.

Don't worry about it. It is only a manual suggested way to set up a system to help aid in getting the least amount of noise and hiss but maximum performance at any listening level. Other things like speaker ratings and distortion levels might come into play also depending on your system.

Not being familiar with your equipment, I can only surmise that if your preamp is quiet to begin with, you probably won't have any problems.

That' great news cademan! Thank you so much!

Currently using a stock pas3x but it's not that quiet. For this initial setup I'm going to switch back to a SS marantz preamp though. Hopefully should have it going be next weekend.

Since the DBX Driverack products are for "pro" audio use you will see instructions that relate primarily to PA system use. In PA systems managing gain structure is VERY important to get maximum output with minimal chance of damage, so you will see instructions like the one that the OP mentions. Those are not "essential" for use in home audio systems and often are not possible since many home amplifiers do not have gain attenuation on their inputs. Don't worry about it - just use the gain on each Driverack output channel to adjust for the differences in amplifier gain and speaker efficiency associated with each individual section of your amp/speaker system. Its fairly intuitive as you start working through the many options in the set-up menu ... just keep plugging away at it and you'll get there :)

Moose,

For sound you mean you are only getting a brief sound? Not either highs or lows normal?

I'd first ask how you did your cabling in and out of the DBX since it's a balanced device and you are interfacing with unbalanced equipment. That's the most likely way to have a problem other than something simply broken in the chain.

The Marantz amp has both balanced and unbalanced in. Don't see a level adjust on it. The switch on the rear has to reflect the input being used. And the Rotel preamp appears to have balanced out available...are you using those? It mentions 1v out for unbalanced and 2v for balanced but doesn't mention impedance. I'd expect the DBX to be a high impedance in so shouldn't be an issue there.

The dealer mentioning 0db out is referring to profession usage of a DBX being the norm. That would only mean level, not a failure to have audio.

And on the speakers...have you pulled the expected jumper between the high and low sections. And bypassed the internal crossovers?

EV3

Last edited:
Moose,

For sound you mean you are only getting a brief sound? Not either highs or lows normal?

I'd first ask how you did your cabling in and out of the DBX since it's a balanced device and you are interfacing with unbalanced equipment. That's the most likely way to have a problem other than something simply broken in the chain.

The Marantz amp has both balanced and unbalanced in. Don't see a level adjust on it. The switch on the rear has to reflect the input being used. And the Rotel preamp appears to have balanced out available...are you using those? It mentions 1v out for unbalanced and 2v for balanced but doesn't mention impedance. I'd expect the DBX to be a high impedance in so shouldn't be an issue there.

The dealer mentioning 0db out is referring to profession usage of a DBX being the norm. That would only mean level, not a failure to have audio.

And on the speakers...have you pulled the expected jumper between the high and low sections. And bypassed the internal crossovers?

EV3
Hi EV3, thanks for getting back to me. Yes, everything is connected via XLR balanced cables from the preamp to the dbx to the amps and then, of course, speaker wire to the speakers. I have taken the speaker jumpers off and disconnected the internal passive speaker crossovers. And the system just grunts bass crap. No highs. The only RCAs in the setup are from where the CD player plugs into the back of the Rotel RC-1590 preamp. Everything had been done correctly yet I'm still not there. Any ideas? Thanks again. Moose

Then I'd focus in the setup of the crossover. Or equipment failure.

You could leave the crossover out and run each amp separately into the low section of the speakers at a modest level. That would check each amp to be working and the speaker crossover bypass to be working on the low section. If that works on each amp, then you'd have the issue narrowed down to the crossover in some capacity.

EV3

Then I'd focus in the setup of the crossover. Or equipment failure.

You could leave the crossover out and run each amp separately into the low section of the speakers at a modest level. That would check each amp to be working and the speaker crossover bypass to be working on the low section. If that works on each amp, then you'd have the issue narrowed down to the crossover in some capacity.

EV3
OK great, I'll try that stuff. HIGHLY unlikely that this is an equipment failure issue. + -
8K of brand new equipment, fresh out of the box.

Failures out of the box do happen. If you drive the low section, you should get sound though obviously lacking in the highs department. Initially just looking for where the problem is.

Hopefully, you've double checked to make sure the highs out of the DBX is going with the wiring to the high section of the speakers and the same with the lows...

EV3

Failures out of the box do happen. If you drive the low section, you should get sound though obviously lacking in the highs department. Initially just looking for where the problem is.

Hopefully, you've double checked to make sure the highs out of the DBX is going with the wiring to the high section of the speakers and the same with the lows...

EV3
Hi EV, So, I just did a little dbx bypass experiment with some little Sony speakers I have that still have their internal crossovers intact. Everything works perfectly. So now I know that the dbx is the problem.

See my reply in your other thread. Pro tip here on AK since you are new ...keep to a single thread when asking questions so that all of the replies and info are in one place.

PM me if I can be of more help with the PA2.
Jblnut
Coming off a recent thread where members were not very nice about this issue your tact in addressing it is very refreshing @jblnut

@Moose1963 please see the rules that can be easily found near the top of the home page of AudioKarma. Also, welcome to our forum, and enjoy your time here.

I am using p2 in my diy 2 way and it's a revelation. One key improvement would be if it also functioned as DAC. In Addition to the great functionality, it is wonderfully transparent so it's a shame that it doesn't take a digital signal.

Back
Top Bottom