DBX DX5 CD Player WOW, A Real Ear Popper!

dc270

Now Off the Reservation
Just gor my DBX DX5 in from that auction sire a few days ago. Have been playing it and must say that I am more than impressed with this unit!

Has the early Burr Brown DAC's for excellent sound characteristic and also 3 sound field adjustments-compression, DAIR & ambience.

Should you ever get the chance do give this unit a listen- DO IT, it is not your average CD player that is for sure!! It is very smooth in nateure, you never tire of listening to it. The misic definately comes to life with some fine tuning adjustments and the dynamics are eye poping!! Why did this model go under the radar?

Best money I ever spent on a CD player! Using it with a Wintec R1060 and Marantz nearfield LD30 monitors (modified). I am in sonic nervana!

Sure wished I had the factory remote- but that is all it is missing.
DC

Hey Doug!

I've been listening to mine all morning in preparation to audition some gear for a buyer (not selling the DBX!) or three.

They are awfully nice sounding for a 22 year old unit!

I got the remote with mine. I think I'll be hunting down a belt for the tray before too long though....

I am ever so impressed with my unit- hard to believe something quite that old sounds that good huh!!
DC

I've always been a fan of dbx stuff. I've had (or still do, depending) their original 3bx with wooden sides, 5bx, 224, 100 sub harmonic synth, newer subharmonic synth (forget number), 400, 14/10 eq but.... never had their cd player!

It's a shame they went under. (I know you can get dbx stuff but I think the 'original company' went under and someone else bought them, letting the consumer stuff go by the wayside)

My Camera is out on loan- these are the pics from the auction that I perchased from. The sound is incredible- especially with over compressed discs I never knew a cd deck that had sucj useful & functional contour controls!

They were certainly way ahead of the game with this one- like they read the misic engineers mind!
DC

Love older DBX stuff!! Currently running their 400XG router...120x-DS subharmonic synth...and 3BX-DS dynamic range expander...in the past I had their BX3 power amp..very nice...always wanted to try out that cd player but havn't found one yet!

This was my main source when purchased new in '88. Got mine as a demo model. It has been unable to read discs for a long time, but I still can't part with it. The sound is just too good. Hopefully I will find a laser to get it back up and running. They were a real sleeper! :thmbsp:

I'm a big fan of dbx equipment too!! I have a DBX-DX5 CD player, which needs some work, but I'll get it up and running sometime the year.

I'm currently running a DBX 200XG, 3BX-DS, 120X-DS, SNR-1, 2015G in my audio system which greatly improves the sound of my LPs, cassettes and FM broadcasts.

In my older 70s and early 80s system, I also have the older DBX-200, DBX-120, DBX-3BX and the 224 units... My dream is to come across a like-new DBX-5BX-DS unit!!

BTW, does anybody know of somebody who is skilled in repairing dbx CD players and sound processors??

I have a dbx dx5 cd player as well. I got mine at a thrift store. No problem at all. No Remote though....but that's OK. You can really tweek - if needed, some of the harshness out of some cds, and bring out ambience in others. Have it as a source for my mc 2125, mx113, and ads L710 system.

I have one too and also found it at a thrift store. The funny thing was that I was about to walk out with a Luxman CD player and another guy I see in there occasionally that also looks for old stereo equipment was carrying a DBX DX5. I didn't know anything about DBX at the time but I really like the way the DX5 looked compared to the Luxman so I talked him into trading. From the way you guys are talking I think I made a good trade especially since I don't think Luxman was well known for their CDP's.
I didn't realize the DX5 had the Burr-Brown DAC's. Does it have anything else that could be superior to other CDP's, new or old?

Love older DBX stuff!! Currently running their 400XG router...120x-DS subharmonic synth...and 3BX-DS dynamic range expander...in the past I had their BX3 power amp..very nice...always wanted to try out that cd player but havn't found one yet!

I have a 400XG and a 3BX-DS, love them both. would love to try the CDP. Do you have owners manuals for the 400xg and 3bx-ds?

Ditto for me on the 3BX-DS, 120X-DS and the SNR-1. When used properly in combination, the results can be amazing. :thmbsp:

I was always under the belief that DBX decided to get out of the consumer market and go strickly pro. And as far as i know they are still doing just that. Haven't looked recently though.

As for my DBX count, not too many. Just a 200X, 224X and 3BX Series 2.

I've got one of those, too. Mine is a sweet sounding unit that came to me from the original owner, remote and all. Congrats on picking up one of the nicer vintage CDPs around.

My other dbx gear:
120X-DS crossover
14/10 RTA/EQ

Was showing mine off to a friend- he replaced his several years back and now I have two of these? My friend said his started skipping once in a while so he replaced it. I put a lens cleaner in it and played it and it seems to work fine!

Lightening can strike twice!
DC

I just picked up one of these DBX DX 5 CD players at the local GW for $5. Wow! What a great CD player. It hangs with the California Audio Labs Icon MKII that I mainly use for CD's. I love the ability to tweak the sound of the CDs to your liking using the Ambience, Compress, and DAIR knobs. If you see one of these around dont hesitate...buy it.

Pics to follow. Its not mint by any means and is missing the remote but for $5 Im very happy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom