DC CL 1961 Space-Tone Senator Console

TheRed1

Console Conservationist
1961Space-ToneSenator.jpg

(Not affiliated - just thought it was interesting.)

Here's an obscure local (DC) console manufacturer for you: Space-Tone. Probably manufactured by PIECO (Product and Industrial Engineering Corp.) of Arlington, Va., this huge console was a giveaway to "Member-Subscribers" of the American Music Guild record club. This deal really seems too good to be true given some of the specs of this console. Jensen speakers, Garrard turntable . . . ? Sounds like they're talking about a Fisher.

The whole concept was the brainchild of Philip R. Connor who was only 28 in 1961 and the head of 3 companies. I vaguely recall that there was some sort of controversy surrounding Space-Tone but I can't find that clipping. I know there's some kind of a story behind this console. Apparently the American Music Guild had a few "Member-Subscribers".

Space-ToneElectronicsSenatorNov1961.jpg

I had one of these, it was full of Telefunken tubes. Two EL84 and a single 12ax7 out of those were significant. Mine cost a lot less than this one. It was beyond heavy to carry.

Did yours have an all-in-one chassis or a tuner/pre with a separate amp? 2 EL-84s - was it single-ended?

It was single-ended, no separate amp. The receiver you see in the middle contained all of the parts.

They were the subject of some Federal Trade Commission proceedings, including:

IN THE MATTER OF
AMERICAN MUSIC GUILD, INC. , ET AL.
ORDER, OPINION, ETC. , IN REGARD TO THE ALLEGED VIOLATION OF THE
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION ACT
Docket 8550. Complaint, Jan. 1963-Decision , July 1965
Order requiring two defunct Washington, D.C. , retailers of stereophonic
records and record players through a "package deal " to cease making
false savings , pricing, value , and free claims , and misrepresenting the
manner in whjch the records could be selected and would be delivered
and that offers were for a limited time and available only to specially selected persons.

Basically, you agreed to buy 12 LP's, twice a year, for a long time, and they gave you this console FREE!...

They were out of business within a couple years.

Wish it was a LOT cheaper.. I'd get it just to harvest those Jensens...
I thought about that, but then considered this from the FTC's findings:

5. The "Senator" console which is part of the combination offer
is not manufactured to sell at $695 , is of a value less than $695
and has never been sold separately at that, or any other, price.

When this console was made, Jensen manufactured some extremely nice drivers. They also made a lot of run of the mill, sorta crappy stuff. I figure that's probably what's in this thing...

My parents had one of these things. I understand it was a wedding present in 1962 in NYC? The electronics in this thing never ever worked correctly. Was a source of constant issues. My Dad was ALWAYS trying to fix this thing. Everything from the selenuium rectifiers to channels being out to the constantly drifting, non-functional-by-design FM AFC circuit. In the late 80's he finally gave up, removed the original electronics and replaced them with a modern solid state radio shack realistic receiver and cassette deck so that my Mom could finally use it again.
Dad donated it to the local thrift store in 2012? when he finally left the apartment in CT they had since 1966.
He had asked if I wanted it but I said no (my dad had taken to chain smoking again in 2006 and the apartment and everything in it stunk badly of cigarette smoke) plus it was on the 2nd floor of a walk up/ stairs -only apartment building - There was no way I was going to move this thing. It was back-breaking heavy!!! My mom did keep the finish in really good condition while she was alive though. I always wondered if someone nice got the unit.

Back
Top Bottom