DCM QED: Show me the light

Been thinking about recapping mine, they have the bolt on the bottom, where is the crossover on these? Thanks in advance!

I recapped a pair of these a year or so ago. If memory serves it's on the bottom base plate. Could be confusing it with some Time Frames I recapped. I am 83.77% it's on the bottom plate.

Last edited:
Hi all!
So, I have been watching the forums for a long time and signed up just for this thread. Recently I bought a pair of QED DCMs at an antique store and I am curious about the foam sock idea. The ones I have have black speaker cloth (not foam) surrounding everything with decorative nailheads along the top border. They sound pretty good, but the mids and highs are a bit muted compared to my Boston Acoustic A150s. Anyway, so I am wondering if the foam sock is the original idea and the speaker cloth is a modification over the years? Thanks!

My very dim memory of the QED singleton I had is foam, not cloth, and certainly no motorcycle/Goth studs at the top border.

Ok, thanks - this is what mine look like along the top. I can't find a bolt on the bottom either :) This must be a customization. So what are the benefits of me going inside and replace caps? Thanks again, this site is awesome.

I only had one - I found it at the dump and took it home to try to find out what it was. I never found a way inside except by chiseling out the woofer which was glued in. My memory is that the crossover has very large diameter air core coils, and quite a few components, but I can't remember if they were electrolytic or film.
Given the difficulty and risk of bashing your way in, if the speakers sound good, I'd just leave them unopened - electrolytics can reform and act as they were intended to act, and sometimes changing them is counterproductive since you also change the equivalent series resistance.
On the other hand, I'd replace the cloth with foam, if only to make the top and bottom extend less from the apparent body of the speaker. Better proportions will soothe your psyche, making the speakers sound better.

I only had one - I found it at the dump and took it home to try to find out what it was. I never found a way inside except by chiseling out the woofer which was glued in. My memory is that the crossover has very large diameter air core coils, and quite a few components, but I can't remember if they were electrolytic or film.
Given the difficulty and risk of bashing your way in, if the speakers sound good, I'd just leave them unopened - electrolytics can reform and act as they were intended to act, and sometimes changing them is counterproductive since you also change the equivalent series resistance.
On the other hand, I'd replace the cloth with foam, if only to make the top and bottom extend less from the apparent body of the speaker. Better proportions will soothe your psyche, making the speakers sound better.

Ha ha ha! I like the way you think and will go with your advice. Thank you for taking the time - off to find some QED foam and improve my experience!

Mcmaster Carr has the foam - I believe its refrigeration filter foam, but there may be better alternatives.

Thanks guys, my QED's are bone stock and no foam, just cloth over all sides. Would love to recapp these or have it done, mine have the bolt on the bottom so hopefully a easy access. I run them with several different amps, right now a Fisher 800C. Al

PS, the other set of QED's I have do not have the bolt on the bottom, might be a earlier version, still nice speakers.

I think mine look pretty much OEM with the black cloth around everything and a well done back. Mine are consecutive numbers 8504 and 8505, so maybe this is a later edition that makes them worth at least 5k each?

Update, the cabinet top cover came off the other day and has the bolt that holds down the cover. Should I just glue it back on and live with it ? Would be willing to fix these if I could find someone to re do the Cross over caps. My eyes arent good enough anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 51
Gluing it back might work (and it only needs to be strong enough to seal the top seam and damp everything a bit, so JB weld or similar ought to be fine), or you might be able to remove the entire chipboard block and fit a new one.

Dragging out an old thread. Today I happened by a yard sale, and snagged an original pair of QED’s for... eight dollars. For the pair. They’re rough, but solid. Need foam and the tops and bottoms refinished. Unfortunately these are the original version, with no bolt. The port at the bottom is too tiny to get into the crossover from. Not sure if I’ll recap these or not. Serial numbers 4283 and 4284.

I needed another project like a hole in the head, but for $8 I really couldn’t pass it up.

Charles.

Attachments

• F0E9A2C2-E5CD-4C7F-B757-7A827F7B2641.jpeg
    F0E9A2C2-E5CD-4C7F-B757-7A827F7B2641.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 47
Gluing it back might work (and it only needs to be strong enough to seal the top seam and damp everything a bit, so JB weld or similar ought to be fine), or you might be able to remove the entire chipboard block and fit a new one.

Thanks, bought some Gorilla glue today, will likely reglue the top but sure would like to recap them while they are open. The Xover is near the top on these (with the bolt). Anyone know a place I could send the Xovers for upgrading? Many Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom