DCM TF-700 Speakers

Depecheduran

Hey everybody, I picked up a pair of these speakers on a whim today without hearing them or really knowing much about them. I've done a few searches for specs but can't seem to find anything other than a user manual. So if there is any opinions on them, or anyone knowing some specs, I would appreciate it. I'm going to set them up and give them a listen tomorrow.

Easy to place, great imaging and surprisingly good bass from relatively small drivers. Getting them 18 inches of more away from the wall behind them worked best for me.

I first heard the prototype TF-700 at the CES in Las Vegas in 1986. They were the first speaker I had heard that gave the impression that the musicians were right there in the room with you and the sound was not coming from speakers. I waited anxiously for the first production run to arrive at my local store, calling them every week until they came in and I ran down and bought them. I still have them. The only speakers I have heard that sound better cost many times what I paid for these new ($650.) The specs are in the owner's manual. They go down to 30 Hz on the low end. I forget what the high limit is. Organ sounds amazing on them. They give an excellent sense of depth and imaging. They are relatively unaffected by room shape and size. For best imaging, place them with the badges on the outside and toed in slightly so that in your listening position each is aimed at your ear on that side (not at the center of your head.)
On the bottom there are 2 feet that should be swung out to the rear for stability.

Well I gave them a listen. Not too bad but compared with my Infinity CS-3008's... the DCM fell short. The lows were not as low as the Infinitys. I might pass them on to someone or upgrade my bedroom speakers. I have a vintage set of Sansui speakers in there.

With the DCM Timeframes, the higher the model number, the lower the bass they will play.
So, get TF-1000s for lower lows. There was a TF-2000 model but they are rare and collectable.

Hi, new guy to the forum. I've been researching the DCM line here and currently own some TF 600's that I bought new, longer ago than I care to think about. I found a pair of 2000's for sale for 500.00 in excellent condition, they're 1000 miles away. So it looks like a road trip is in order as I haven't found any 2000's available for a very long time. I've never heard any of the big DCM's but have always liked the 600's, so I'm hoping to be impressed with the monolithic 2000's. I hear that they are "power hungry" I'll be driving them with a Pioneer SX 1250, that I also bought new, 160 RMS WPC will hopefully do the trick.
Any thoughts?

Dr. Audio, I want to discuss the badge placement with you. Every other reference that i have found regarding placement has stated that Timeframe badges should be inward. You are the only person that, to my knowledge, has stated just the opposite. Where did your information come from? Here is the .pdf for the TF600. The info makes no comment about placement, except for the hand written note by the previous owner. I am now wondering which one of us is correct. I'll do some more research.

I just found this relative article under new posts:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....dge-and-speaker-orientation-questions.831582/

Attachments

• DCM TF600 Info.pdf
    466.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Here’s a little bit of my TF700 journey for anyone interested! Honestly love the way they sound and the soundstage that’s produced.

Just wanted to go back to this old thread and correct myself. Per the manual, the badges go to the inside. Sorry about that!

Back
Top Bottom