DCM Time Window 3 pair...value?

Sonance'84

moe.ron
Subscriber
I know the 3's and 7's are the harder to find models...but what's the price range that the TW3's pop up for? :idea:

I asked the condition and the seller said, "near perfect, 9.5/10". I'm going to check them out tomorrow. Pics below.

Thanks in advance for any help!

tw3 1.jpg
tw3 2.jpg

Last edited:
Time windows are excellent speakers. Condition is usually king. I would not hesitate to pay $200 - $400 range. Perfect speakers are hard to find. The wood caps are easy enough to refinish, but the replacement socks look wonky to me, so original socks in good condition are a plus.

I see them in Dallas asking between $150 and $300 depending on condition. They were about $1500 a pair new. If you get them, hit me up. I have an owners manual and some other literature I could scan and send.

Thanks guys...I added the only pics to the 1st post, for reference. I appreciate the offer for the scans as well!

What years were they sold? Rubber surrounds, or do I need to worry about foam rot?

Thanks guys...I added the only pics to the 1st post, for reference. I appreciate the offer for the scans as well!

What years were they sold? Rubber surrounds, or do I need to worry about foam rot?

Rubber surrounds!

I think these ranged from mid 80s to early 90s, but don't quote me. I bought a set in 92 and still have them.

See post #4 in thread below for TW3 manual and sell sheet.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/dcm-timewindow-3-manual.613123/#post-8098841

Last edited:
Thanks again!

Where can one find replacement socks, if necessary? I'd like to know how much they cost, in case I need to haggle that into the price.

I bought a pair of these on ebay years ago (my first mistake - not seeing/hearing them before hand). They arrived and had a few blown drivers - tweeter and woofer or mid range IIRC - so the pair ended up having mismatched drivers. I was using them for a youth program, so they were fine for that. I sold them 5 years ago? I can't remember what I paid or sold. I guess the point is, I'd encourage you to check the drivers.

Back in college in the 80's, a buddy had a Carver M400a driving pair of those and they rocked! I liked my DQ 10's better for listening, but for partying it was the Time Windows!

Good Luck!

As far as I know replacement socks aren't available. The TW3 is relatively easy to replace, though. The wood top and bottom are held on by a threaded rod running the length of the speaker. Unscrew that at the bottom and the sock should roll down and off. Folks take that to someone who can sew and have a replacement made from a stretchable fabric and reinstall the new socks.

I'll definitely check the drivers, but being point-source, it may be a bit more difficult than usual. The seller has a NAD receiver that I want as well, so I'll be able to hook the TW3's up to that and test it all at the same time.

I've always wanted to hear some transmission line speakers, and I did have a chance at a few pairs of TimeFrame 600's and smaller versions over the years, but never did snag a pair. I kinda wanted to hold out for a bigger pair of TF's back then...but I'm guessing that TW3's would fit the bill now. I hope they're a 9.5/10 condition, as the seller says.

Well, last night the seller mentioned between 9am and noon would be the best time, but now I can't get a hold of him. I hoped I'd have them home by now.

*update*

I finally picked the speakers up last night, along with the NAD receiver. This was definitely one of those weird encounters...he had them listed on Offer Up and Let Go, but not Craigslist, and prices were all over the place. I could tell he was into good stereo gear in the past, but drugs have gotten the best of him nowadays. I feel like I rescued the speakers more than anything. They're a solid 7/10, but reek like smoke. I'm gonna buy some Febreeze for them today and clean them up before I bring them inside to listen. Same with the amp, it reeks and needs a bath.

I'm curious about the rod that runs through the cabinet...one of them sticks out past the wood on the bottom and is not flush with the wood, so it won't sit level on a hard surface. What's up with that? How can I fix it? I have tile floors.

On the TW1A the rod threads into a fitting on the top of the speaker, inside and this is what holds the end caps on. You can thread the rod further into that fitting so it doesn't stick out if this is the same.

On the TW1A the rod threads into a fitting on the top of the speaker, inside and this is what holds the end caps on. You can thread the rod further into that fitting so it doesn't stick out if this is the same.

What's the procedure for doing that? Loosen the bottom nut and pull the top cap up?

I don't know was trial and error for me getting a pair of 1a back together with the rod flush or recessed. I would investigate if that rod does keep the caps in place and with the speaker upside down remove the nut and bottom plate, don't pull out the rod as getting it back in through the stuffing might be work. The thread the rod in some, hoping it stays put while you install the bottom and the nut. I seemed to recall threading the rod in further when reassembling the speaker causing not enough threads to catch the nut. That is the trial and error.

Or get your rod set where you want it and use the blue loctite, mild hold on the top fitting to keep the rod from turning as you thread on the nut. I'd approach that by pulling the top plate.

Thanks, I was doing some trial and error after my last post. I was able to pull the top up enough to grab it with a wrench and twist the top down a few turns. It started to get hard to turn, I just left it there, so I didn't risk splitting the very top piece. I tightened the bolt so it the bottom was snug, and the rod end is flush. If I tighten the bolt too much, the rod will stick out a little. The caps are tight now and don't have play like they did before.

I can't wait to hook these up, they sounded great during the short demo when I picked them up.

Back
Top Bottom