DCM Timeframe TF 600 Badge and Speaker Orientation Questions

Joe Nardy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked up a decent set of DMC Timeframe TF 600 (black wood) speakers yesterday. The socks were dusty and the top and bottom caps had some scratches. I pulled and painted the caps and also removed and washed the socks. They now look very nice but I have a couple questions. I have searched and determined that there is a left and right speaker and that the DCM badges should be orientated inward (toward the center). Unfortunately, both badges fell off while removing the socks and I'm not sure where they should be on the socks. The drivers are off center, positioned toward the edge of the speaker and I THINK the badges were on the same side as the drivers. This would mean that when the badges are attached correctly and the speakers placed correctly both the badges and drivers would be oriented toward the center, i.e., drivers and badges on left speaker would be on the right and vice-versa for the right speaker.

Can anyone confirm this for me? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Same side as drivers. Upper corner. 1/2 inch from cap and 1 inch from side.

Badges and drivers should face inward. there are a number of examples online of where it should go in relation to the corner of the speaker.

nice find!

Thanks to both of you! Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the speakers running on Pioneer SX-1050. I'm very impressed with these. The clarity and soundstage are excellent. I haven't played with placement yet, just wanted to test them out.

upload_2018-7-25_9-34-23.png

You will find the staging/imaging becomes quite impressive when the rear firing tweeters have a surface to reflect from.

A clear/open space between them, approximately 1 - 1 1/2 feet out from the wall worked best for me, YMMV.

You will find the staging/imaging becomes quite impressive when the rear firing tweeters have a surface to reflect from.

A clear/open space between them, approximately 1 - 1 1/2 feet out from the wall worked best for me, YMMV.

Thanks for the info. I still have these a couple feet from the wall with a set of Pioneer HPM-100s sitting behind them and the imaging is already very good. I can't imagine how good it will be once I get the DCMs closer to the wall. I just need to muster up my strength to haul the heavy HPMs to the basement.....

Joe

I had a chance to play around with placement last night. I found an owner's instruction manual that says 'an ideal starting point is to try to achieve an "equilateral triangle" placement with the loudspeakers placed as far from each other as from the listener. Best bass response is obtained by placing the speakers on the floor 4 to 8 inches from the rear wall.' I was able to achieve the equilateral triangle and used their guideline placing the speakers 6 inches from the rear wall. They sound very good. The bass response definitely seems better than the previous placement which was probably three feet from the rear wall. Based on a lot of opinions I've read here and elsewhere, there is some consensus that these may sound better farther from the wall. Plus, we have a wall mounted TV between the speakers which protrudes a few inches from the wall so I think some sound may get trapped in the space between the wall and TV so the imaging might be better farther away from the wall. I'll continue to play with placement but so far they sound great to me regardless of the placements I've tried so far.

Thanks,
Joe

While proximity to the rear wall will affect bass response, the term "improvement" is purely subjective.

There is a fine balance between bass boom and soundstage/imaging bloom.

It's now a game of inches ...an inch or two this way or that way will have you dialed into the best balance for your preferences.

Welcome to the wonderful, wild, wacky world of HiFi !!!!

Also, do check to make sure all of your drivers are working. Hold a paper towel tube up to each one and listen. Lots of people have blown side tweeters and do not realize it.

Also, do check to make sure all of your drivers are working. Hold a paper towel tube up to each one and listen. Lots of people have blown side tweeters and do not realize it.

especially co-axial ones since woofer will make sound and disguise as tweeter sound if not listening carefully. turn bass down and treble all the way up and make sure there is treble coming from the fronts.

I have some 600's that I bought new, yep still have them. I've found that a speaker that is angled in a corner produces the best bass response, and have both speakers angled toward the listening area. Every room is different and requires experimentation on placement to optimize sound quality. I'll be picking up a set of 2000's next week, more info on these monsters later.

I have some 600's that I bought new, yep still have them. I've found that a speaker that is angled in a corner produces the best bass response, and have both speakers angled toward the listening area. Every room is different and requires experimentation on placement to optimize sound quality. I'll be picking up a set of 2000's next week, more info on these monsters later.
There is a world of difference between the 600s and the 2000s. I have owned a pair of the 2000s in the past, sold them off a couple of years ago. Part of me still regrets letting them go but then the part of me that made a huge profit on them is okay with it. :cool:

Looking forward to getting them, and of course hearing them. I have a large space to put them in and 160 watts per channel to drive them with. Pioneer SX 1250 should hopefully do the trick. Thanks for the response DB94

Old thread but I'm the current owner of these Joe Nardy Time Frame 600 speakers and agree w/all he has said.

They just sound right in all areas.

Back
Top Bottom