DCM TimeWindow Seven

Time for a week one update-

Holy cow the bass from these is prodigious! My 18 by 19 foot room doesn't help, but after much shifting and listening I've got the back of the speaker 34 inches off the back wall which puts the drivers almost four feet into the room. Thank the fates for tolerant spouses!

But speakers go where the sound dictates, not where they look nice and polite, right?

I also recapped both crossovers, but did them over two days which gave me a chance to listen to one with fresh caps and the second in vintage configuration. The recap made a significant difference. Bass lines have a "thrummmmm" and instruments are more clearly defined.

I continue to be impressed with how stable the audio images are - even with seven drivers on three faces, there's no wavering or "ping pong" of sound. And now that I've balanced speaker positioning with the nodes in my room the bass and drums produce a physical undercurrent that the Magnepans can't match, even with a subwoofer.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is spiking the speakers to the floor. I've got carpet over a concrete slab here and wonder if coupling the speakers to the floor might help. It's cheap, easy and reversible, so maybe that's the next thing to play with!

Cool Mike it looks like you got them and enjoying the fun of these new bad boys. It's nice when long standing dreams come true and pan out.

Ha! Made it!

View attachment 929106

I'm still playing with positioning, and have ordered capacitors to refresh the crossovers, but as they sit I'm pretty happy.

Some initial impressions and comparisons from last night and this morning:

The Sevens present a larger sound image than the TW3, and have deeper and more physical bass. The conventional drivers are more dynamic than my Magnepans - lots of punch! The imaging is very stable and clear and deeply layered.

I suspect they will sound better with some tweaks to positioning and new electrolytics, and I may get more objective as I listen to them more, but right now I've got no regrets about picking these up.

-Me thinks they look outaplace in your room-send them to me Any day :thumbsup: -R.

Back
Top Bottom