DCM timewindows 1A

Confessor

1496366815060329402153.jpg Hello all, I just brought home a really clean pair of DCM timewindows 1A's I've done some looking here and online for an owner's manual. Anybody have one or know of a link? Thanks in advance:rockon:

Thanks doc! I've wanted a pair of these ever since my brother got a new pair of original tw 1's way back when. They sound great! I love getting new to me speakers

Still looking if anyone can help me out, thanks!

I don't have the manual, but how about a sell sheet? (You probably already found this...)

The speakers are easy to place - if you can, get them symmetrically placed in the room, equal distances from the side walls and 18 inches or more off the back wall - adjust the position from the back wall until the bass sounds best. When done right, the speakers should disappear leaving a wash of sound from left to right.

Nice find! Hope you enjoy 'em!

Attachments

• DCM TimeWindow 1A Louspeaker Brochure.pdf
    594.1 KB · Views: 32
Thanks dcmfan and for the link. I've been experimenting quite a bit with placement and feel you are right. about 18" off the back wall sounds best to my ears. They aren't terribly picky it seems. It's kind of amazing how they disappear! I'm enjoying them very much and they are definitely long haul keepers!

Thanks dcmfan and for the link. I've been experimenting quite a bit with placement and feel you are right. about 18" off the back wall sounds best to my ears. They aren't terribly picky it seems. It's kind of amazing how they disappear! I'm enjoying them very much and they are definitely long haul keepers!

All my DCMs sounded best above 90 or 95dB. Nice and full. Below that they sounded just a tad too polite. :biggrin:

Apologies in advance to your neighbors!

I like mine very much. They needed cosmetic work when I bought them, and ended up having to replace a woofer that buzzed. Otherwise, they are original. Very early serial numbers.

All my DCMs sounded best above 90 or 95dB. Nice and full. Below that they sounded just a tad too polite. :biggrin:
Apologies in advance to your neighbors!

YES INDEED!! I'm driving them with a pair of Rotel 980bx @360 watts ea and they love it!!!

The OM for the TW is out there. If the one for the TW 1A is similar, that poop sheet is much more informative than the OM. The TW OM has a page of info, talks about dual banana plug a bit about placement and some Q & A on side two.

Congrats! Those are keepers.

Blue Shadow, GD70, and dcmfan are three of the go-to AKers about TWs. To them, add -reverb- and gib48189. If this group doesn't know it, the knowledge is beyond obscure.

I know a bit, too, having refurbed my 4-digit TWs I bought them in the late '70s. They have the octagonal woofers (Philips AD 7066 W/8) and glued-on end caps. The folks above offered encouragement and suggestions, making the outcome better than it would have been had I gone solo.

Glad to see that your experience with placement confirms dcmfan's suggestions. I have found that rule of thumb to work for me, too, since 1978. To that, I would add a couple of other things: Try placing them about 12" off the floor. I found elevating mine to be helpful for bass definition (something about standing waves, hard floors???). Next, experiment with distance between the speakers. Over the years, I find I prefer no more than 8' apart. YEAPDTM. (I made that up: "Your ears are probably different than mine.")

The attached TW 1A pics and schematics may be of help. I can't cite my sources ... probably one of the AKers mentioned above!

Cheers!

Attachments

• TW1aXOSchematic.jpg
    TW1aXOSchematic.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 58
  • tw1Inside.jpg
    tw1Inside.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 59
  • tw1XO (1).JPG
    tw1XO (1).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 53
  • tw1XO.jpg
    tw1XO.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Congrats on your Timewindows! I, personally, am a big fan of DCMs. I currently have TF250s, CX-27s and tomorrow I will be picking up a pair of TF700s. I am curious how the TWs compare to the TFs.

Guy who worked in my store just short of forty years ago calls me up -he said he'd always wanted a pair (but at age 14 they were out of his reach)-CL has a set for sale. So he and I go over listen and he buys them. He's happy and frankly i was impressed - they still are one of the best speakers I've heard for anywhere near the price.

The TimeWindows that you have are identical to the ones I have had for some time now. Using AK as the source I did identify mine a TW1As, but recently there was a thread that touted what they had as 1As, They looked way different and had a very different base. I have not had time to research what they had, or to find the thread in question. Maybe a member here might remember that post and add some clarity, because it bore no resemblance to our 1As. Has anyone else seen that other thread? Nice find, by the way. I still have work to do on mine, but I finally got my receiver back that I will use to drive them, my Onkyo TX-8500MkII. Thanks blhagstrom. I am certain the Big Onk will have what it takes to drive the TWs.

Back
Top Bottom