DCM timewindows 1A

I just got a pair of TW 3's at a local thrift store. My first DCM speakers, and I am impressed. The previous owner must not have known what banana plugs are, because they had put bare wire into the sockets and secured them with wood screws!!

Congratulations on your TW1's! A very good all around speaker that can compete with a lot of speakers that cost several times more.

I just got a pair of TW 3's at a local thrift store. My first DCM speakers, and I am impressed. The previous owner must not have known what banana plugs are, because they had put bare wire into the sockets and secured them with wood screws!!

I don't know what it is about time windows but for some reason every thrift store I walk into I think this is going to be the time I find em but never have. Great find congrats!!!

Sweet!

I got all the literature and boxes w mine. Box just says 1 not 1a. Here are the instructions. I have the brochure as well. It just pretty much compares them to other speakers20170713_030421.jpg 20170713_030510.jpg 20170713_030809.jpg 20170713_030819.jpg hope this helps. But these things do sound good pretty much anywhere.

Thanks Jon d ! Having spent some time now with these I'm really impressed they are very flexible placement wise and sound amazing with all types of music

I don't know what it is about time windows but for some reason every thrift store I walk into I think this is going to be the time I find em but never have. Great find congrats!!!
Found mine at a yard sale, but they were not out on display. I asked if they had any old stereo gear, and that's how I ended up with them, 40 bucks, but needed cosmetic work, and ended up needing to replace a buzzing woofer.

Found mine at a yard sale, but they were not out on display. I asked if they had any old stereo gear, and that's how I ended up with them, 40 bucks, but needed cosmetic work, and ended up needing to replace a buzzing woofer.

Great find! I need to start going to more yard sales!!

I got all the literature and boxes w mine. Box just says 1 not 1a. Here are the instructions. I have the brochure as well. It just pretty much compares them to other speakersView attachment 966473 View attachment 966474 View attachment 966475 View attachment 966476 hope this helps. But these things do sound good pretty much anywhere.

Thanks for uploading. Yours are nearly the same as the ones I have for #6596 and #6597 (purchased late 1978) -- prior to 1A. My sheet with the waveform traces is laid out vertically on 11.5 x 17, neither folded nor glossy as yours appears to be.

I bought an air filter material from a place here in Michigan. Was a lot cheaper than the kits they sell. It's dark grey so some people paint them. Color worked well in my living room so I left them grey. I had to cut it, but it was not too bad to do.

Great pick up. I really like the pair I own. Sound good with all types of music. They do like power though!

Thanks for uploading. Yours are nearly the same as the ones I have for #6596 and #6597 (purchased late 1978) -- prior to 1A. My sheet with the waveform traces is laid out vertically on 11.5 x 17, neither folded nor glossy as yours appears to be.
Mine are higher numbered. The wave form comparison is actually a fold out so there are 4 sides. I will post the other two here. Not sure of the year on mine. The instructions say 78. The brochure says 82.20170718_010808.jpg 20170718_011024.jpg20170718_011450.jpg
Picture on the front of the foldout is kind of cool.

Serial Number 278xx was purchased from the factory on 29 Dec 1980 so your 47000 speakers are from at least 1982. Orion says the 1A showed up in 85 so plenty of time for those 47k speakers to show up. The TW was popular and reasonably priced, they sold well. I don't have high serial number data on the original TW, though.

I have a set of DCM TW and I love them.
In 1984 I married an audiophile and we bought a set of almost new Time Windows. I even replaced the sock after our cats mistook them for scratching posts. Just buy speaker fabric and lift/pry up the two clasp rods and open them and set in the new fabric. Cheaper than buying the factory set.
Thru the years I learned to appreciate them more as he taught me how to listen critically.

Eventually money happened and he upgraded everything including the TW which he gave to his former high school art teacher (probably to show how successful he became). We bought B & W nautilus 802 speakers I think for like $7500. They looked like R2D2 and sounded great - as long as you were in the singular small sweet spot, otherwise anywhere else they sucked. The TW gave great imaging over a large area including a slightly sweeter sweet spot. Dancing became less fun with the B&Ws playing. But they were great for arrogance appeal (him).

A few years later he decided he wanted a different wife. He took the stereo, except the AIWA tape deck. We split our large CD collection and made copies of each other's other half of the music. Once he was gone, I bought a Yamaha receiver (heaven forbid, not separates, and not Sun!) and some $100 Yamaha speakers, and a Denon CD player. As a teacher just starting out on my own, money wasn't as available as it had been.

But, well, DAMN HIM! He had trained my ear and those speakers actually hurt them. No way could I afford a stereo like what we had. Then I remembered our TW and began looking on eBay. I found a very nice mated pair still with their boxes in my price range. They became mine and I love them more than the first pair.

DCM Time Windows: great imaging, forgiving placement, and makes me feel like an audiophile.

Back
Top Bottom