Dead HK6350R

Just a thought here - I know you guys seem to have this under control but it may make sense to build a dim bulb tester - that will save your fuses - ie: the bulb will glow bright whilst theres an issue and will limit power to the unit. Instructions on how to build one are on here if you search. cheers

Roger.
Please set the MM on 200 ohm range, and read on the 2 spots pointed out with arrows. Use TM112 (in the circle) as ground.

pcb-1.jpg

Sorry for the delay, life gets busy sometimes. The MM I'm using does no have a 200 ohm setting but set to autorange it gives the following readings;

D1 to TM112 = 14.49
D4 to TM112 = 2.683
See attachments

Attachments

• 170119_0000.jpg
    170119_0000.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 170119_0001.jpg
    170119_0001.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2
No prob, Ken.
The reading do not show the short anymore. What did you disconnect from the board so far to move it?

Also, please select diode function on the MM, and read directly on D1, D2, D3, and D4, both ways, that's red lead to anode and black lead to cathode, then reversing the leads.

If the diodes are fine, you will see a reading in the range of 0.5-0.7 one way and infinite (no reading) reversing the leads.

I had disconnected JL601 (jumper to the phono cartridge board) and JL501 (jumper to the Loudness, Subsonic, Mono, Sound Processor buttons board).

The diodes read fine but now I'm getting no reading from TM112 to D1. Plugging either or both of the above jumpers does not change this (or the TM112 to D4 reading).

Sorry for the late reply.

Do not worry about that lost reading.

Looks like the short is not there anymore. At least not where you read it in the first instance. Please reconnect all wires (TM101 et all) except for JL601. Check out no short is produced by pinching a wire or something while you reinstall PCB1 back.

Once you have it reassembled and connected (except for JL601) repeat this measurement:

Roger.
Please set the MM on 200 ohm range, and read on the 2 spots pointed out with arrows. Use TM112 (in the circle) as ground.

View attachment 853068

With the red and white leads reattached to TM101 and jumper JL106 not attached D1 to TM112 drops to about 6.85 but it says M ohms instead of K ohms.
D4 to TM112 drops to about 2.16 K ohms.
Attaching JL601 changes D1 to 7.1 M ohms and D4 stays the same.
With thw power supply back in the loop but JL601 un attached I put a fuse in and it blew as soon as I hit the power button.

Ken, I can not find JL106. You mean JL110?
Also, JL601. Perhaps you mean CN601.

Good try installing a new fuse.

Please measure with your MM in resistance mode (autorange) as indicated in the 2 images attached. Red lead on each TM101 pins, black lead on TM111.
Also on the D1/D4 spots as indicated. Everything connected to the board except for CN601.

Let me know.

Sin título.jpg

Sin título2.jpg

Sorry, I meant JL601 as in "I had disconnected JL601 (jumper to the phono cartridge board) and JL501 (jumper to the Loudness, Subsonic, Mono, Sound Processorbuttons board)." But I'll check to make sure it's not "CNN 601".

Sorry for the long delay. I've been pretty busy and the guy I borrowed the MM from needed it back. Before we progress any further I want to thank you for your time in this process. However I was wondering if you have an idea of how many more steps we'll need to zero in on the problem? I need my dining room table back and I'm running out of the enthusiasm I had when I thought I might be able to fix this thing. Thanks again and I'll try to get you the next reaings tomorrow night.

You need to get a DMM of your own, Ken; it's just a few bucks investment. I couldn't give you a remaining number of steps to get the issue located precisely since it's somehow pretty well hidden and I'm trying to be certain of things so sometimes I made you complete the same step but in a different way as double check; sometimes didn't pass this double check, so some needed to be repeated... It's a long process. You need to enjoy it otherwise it wouldn't be worth it. Remember I'm helping you out, but the main motor to this has to be you and your desire to get the device running. Letting so much time go by fuzzies memory so some steps need to be carried out again. Let me know how you feel about it and we'll keep on or leave it for some time until you build momentum again.

Hi guys, I had the same issue as Ken and I was wondering if you made any progress. I made it up to the step where you said to unsolder the wires at TM101 and decided to stop there and see if you guys figured anything else out before I started to unsolder things.

Back
Top Bottom