1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with Package Theft and Security

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by Wildcat, Dec 18, 2017.

1. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

From It's a Wonderful Life:

"I'll tell you what I'm going to do for you, George. As a stockholder in the Building and Loan, I'm going to swear out a warrant for your arrest! Misappropriation of funds...manipulation...malfeasance..."

[​IMG]

How appropriate to the Christmas season!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. toxcrusadr

Think the delivery guy is going to go anywhere near that to put the package on the porch? :yikes: This may not work out the way you have it planned...

3. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Subscriber

I just hate saying "bad guy" :)

Enjoy,
    Rich P

IPADave, KeninDC and dosmalo like this.
  4. toxcrusadr

I said 'perp' to a cop once. It was after a drunk driver slammed into my utility trailer and truck legally parked at the curb in front of my house. I had to chase the guy down while calling 911 with the other hand. Guy's car finally failed, cops came and arrested him. I went back to the house and there was a lady cop talking to my wife. Got out of the car hitching up my pants and sniffing like Barney Fife. "Yessir, I pursued the perp until backup arrived." I could literally hear her interior struggle not to roll her eyes. It was pretty funny. You know, except for having my truck totaled.

5. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

I'm down with 'perp' and have used it occasionally in the past myself but I can't wait to throw in a couple of 'malefactors' this season with the in-laws:biggrin:

IPADave likes this.
  6. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Just put one of these in the box, one that starts beeping as soon as the box is moved.

With a message "next time this will be real"

fake timer bomb.JPG

(fake bomb alarm clock countdown timer)

7. toxcrusadr

Meanwhile the SWAT team, bomb squad and the FBI show up at your house...

dosmalo likes this.
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

We've already had the SWAT team on our street, about five years ago... o_O

9. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Legally you are most likely right. Actually the the thief would most likely been on welfare, collecting food stamps, living in subsidized housing, and fathering kids that would be on wic, and free school lunches with a mother that has her own food stamps, welfare, and subsidized housing. So in essence, the award would take the burden off the taxpayers and put it onto the individual that was trying to protect his property. And people wonder why there has become such a political divide in this country.

10. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Subscriber

Moderation Note: Be careful with politics in this thread.

Rich P

11. toxcrusadr

I will try to avoid stepping in that hole by just saying: Justice is blind, and there are very legitimate reasons for that, regardless of the fact that the end result is not always what we might want or think is 'right'.

12. restorer-john

Realistically, by consumers adopting online purchasing and home delivery en-mass, they have shifted the issue of shrinkage or shop lifting from the bricks and mortar retailers to their own bricks and mortar on the front porch. Kind of ironic if you ask me.

Retailers have long considered shrinkage as a cost of doing business- now it's the consumer's turn to do the same. :)

John James likes this.
  13. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Can't see the word "shrinkage" without thinking of George Costanza from Seinfeld ... <G>

Package thieves are truly among the scum of the earth ... right up there with collections agents and telemarketers!

IPADave likes this.
  14. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Perhaps more directly visible/felt, anyway. Consumers end up paying for it either way. Clearly I have no way to verify the number, but I saw it estimated (US) consumers pay ~$400 more annually per household for goods, due to shrink.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    restorer-john likes this.
  15. restorer-john

It's just a really low act to thieve something off someone's private doorstep. I can imagine a bunch of old timers would come out with their shotgun carts full of rock salt back in the day.

"Hey boy, get you ass off of my property and don't steal ever again" Boom! Boom! both barrels in the backside as they scuttled away.

John James likes this.
  16. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

As George heard........." I'm sorry......oh, I am so sorry". Funniest episode I ever saw.

IPADave likes this.

17. 91r100gs

91r100gs Lunatic Member

My "Ring Video Doorbell" has done wonders in reducing the people wandering through my property. The biggest benefit I have noticed is that the USPS/UPS/FedEx delivery people gently sit your package down instead of dropping them. 'Priceless"

John James likes this.
  18. CT Jim

CT Jim AK Subscriber Subscriber

You know the legal system has gone in the hopper when you read about a thief beaking in thru a window, dog bites him and he falls out and sprains or breaks his arm, gets caught, and sues you for the dog bite......
    I seem to recall that is why someone said wait till they're in the house, then shoot! Don't want them falling back outside.....

19. toxcrusadr

The fact that someone can file a (frivolous) lawsuit doesn't mean much. Unless courts don't throw them out or juries side with the perp. If that starts happening a lot I will be worried.