death of my 9090DB

bookasan

Appassionato circa audio
My hobby, as possibly others on this board, is to scout thrift stores and flea markets for classic audio components, play around with them a bit, clean them up, then sell them online for big $$$$ (half of the time I end up keeping them for personal use). Living in one of the biggest media areas in the world with a recording studio every other building and audio buffs every building in between, makes it very easy to score on these items.
Anyway, I found a 9090DB that was in excellent condition, ran over to it, shoving people out of the way to make sure no one beat me to it, got it home and plugged it in. It sounded great, everything working as it should (except 1 knob was missing).
After seeing what a pretty penny I could get from this, I decided to open it up and dust it out and take photos. Looks GREAT! I then turned it on and what do you know, No FM! Tried making adjustments, still no FM. Oh well, I liked the sound of it so much and since I never listen to the radio, I decided to keep it as my main receiver....uh amplifier. Hooked in my CD, turntable, DVD, etc. Sounded great! I actualy watched more DVDs because I loved the sound so much. Until last night! In the middle of an action flick, I heard a loud POP! Now, every time I turn it on, it powers up for a minute then pops, and goes into the "red" protection mode and kicks off.
could this be the end of my 9090DB?:uzi:

Well that's between you and your wallet. Anything can be fixed if you're willing to pay for it. IF you love the 9090 so much, and price is not a concern, send it to Mike Zuccaro for repair. In vintage circles, Mr. Zuccaro is very highly regarded as a technician. I'm sure he'd fix the tuner section while he was at it.:D

Mike

Back
Top Bottom