Decca London Ribbon Tweeters -- project application ?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ohighway, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Ohighway

Ohighway Wannabe Minimalist Subscriber

At least that's what I think they are. For sure they're Decca, and they're ribbons, but the model identification has rubbed off the sticker.

What would these normally mate up with in a complete speaker system? Any ideas on efficiency, etc ? Seem like they'd be cool to incorporate into a speaker project. :yes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. Ohighway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. audiomagnate

audiomagnate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Dude!!! Holy moley dude they are the golden score! I can tell you how to deal with them down to subtle application of Vaseline at the proper locations. I want I want I want! These are the hard to find part of Mark Levinson's HDQ system. Can you get me a pair? Best tweets EVER after horndectomy and a few mods.

4. Ohighway

Sorry, you'll have to translate half of that. Mark Levinson HDQ system? Horndectomy?

Are these in fact called Decca London tweeters? Did they originally come as part of a complete speaker system, or were they just sold separately to be used by folks custom building speakers?

I bought these years ago ...... a trusted friend claimed ribbon tweeters were supposed to be really good. I saw these a bit later and snagged them.

5. audiomagnate

audiomagnate AK Subscriber Subscriber

They're horrible and will cause permanent hearing damage. You should dispose of them to the nearest Colorado native ASAP. Only freezing temps at heights of over 14,000 feet will kill them and stop their wanton destruction of the aural universe. I suggest quick action! PM me immediately!

To answer your questions: Yes No Yes.

6. ColinR

ColinR Active Member

Here you are.

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ribbon.html

My (small) contribution is about halfway down the page.

Remember they come in two flavours 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm if you're planning some DIY.

:music:

This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.

7. hatrack71

hatrack71 distracted by everything

I could see those in my Levinson HQD.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  8. Ohighway

Thanks, that's the type of information I was looking for ! Which is your "small" contribution on that page ?

9. Nat

Nat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think they are called both Kelly ribbon tweeters and Decca ribbon tweeters. Highly regarded, and brought back by Stan(?) Kelly in the 90s and used in some high efficiency speakers that were very well reviewed in HiFi News. Kelly is one of the giants of british audio.
    Where are you coming up with all this great stuff you keep finding? Its just one neat thing after another recently...

10. Ohighway

Well if that's true then that would explain why I hear them referred to as Decca Kelly tweeters.

All the great stuff lately? Actually these were in a box in my basement... re-discovered when I was moving some stuff around. I've probably had them for 10 years. Bought them on a whim after a friend mentioned that ribbon tweeters were desirable.

If you're talking about other recent postings (like the Wharfedales, Epicure 20, and IMF Supercompact II speaker sets) then those really are recent acquisitions. Sometimes I grab stuff when it shows up, especially if it's local. I haven't even posted the Allison 2 speakers yet.......:para: EDIT: Ok, now I have....

11. frperdurabo

frperdurabo AK Member Subscriber

HQD = Hartley Quad Decca. A speaker system designed by the young Mark Levinson, using (per side), 2 stacked Quad ESL 57 panels, the Hartley 30" sub woofer driver, and a Decca ribbon tweeter, with Mark Levinson designed active crossover and multiple ML3 power amps. An all out assault on the state of the art.

12. Nat

Nat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Also an all out assault on the state of your living room -- WAF of approximately negative infinity.

13. hatrack71

14. Ohighway

Nice, but it sure doesn't look like that front panel is set up for mounting a Decca London.

15. ColinR

ColinR Active Member

The pretty picture of one of my Mordaunt Short MS737s, their specs and the circuit diagram.

An guess what they're playing :music:.

This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.

16. Arkay

Arkay Lunatic Member

Wonderful, wonderful ribbons! Related --very distantly-- to the ribbons on speakers like the Sequerra signatures, and some obscure Scandinavian speakers, and others.

And you had those in your basement, neglected and forgotten, for ten years?! :yikes:

Be glad you got them out, and look forward to some VERY nice sounds, when you have them all properly installed in an appropriate system.

CONGRATULATIONS on an amazing score... from your own basement! :thmbsp:

17. Ohighway

Man, you don't know the half of it. Every time I go into my basement, or attic, or garage..... it's like Christmas all over again. A journey of re-discovery. I've forgotten about a third of the stuff I purchased over the years......... and stuff is crammed everywhere.

18. tmad40blue

tmad40blue "I can hear forever!"

I just want to say that those are freakin' cool.

That is all. :p:

19. hatrack71

These were custom made by the previous owner and apparently he thought this sounded better due to the ribbons being able to move forward or backwards achieving the proper plane. They are definitely beefier than stock Levinson frames as he was more than eager to point out to me specifically. This guy sold audio gear in Germany during the 60's and 70's, and believe me- he knows everything about the Quad Company, Everything. You would think it was Peter Walker himself. He even told me which amps to use if I were to go with Levinson electronics as he had tried several different models. The original spec was for Decca Londons though. If I ever found a pair :rolleyes: I would just modify the center removable baffle and make them at home.

20. kfa888

kfa888 Addicted Member