decent tuner

neptuneslair

Looking for a decent analog tuner, maybe 1976-1980. Looking to pair it with a Optonica sm-4646. I guess I just need a list of units to search for. Just starting a Vintage system. So far a pristine Integrated amp and a
gorgeous pair of Marantz HD-770s. Not in a rush, but need some decent model #s to look for. Thank you in advance.

Hi guess it depends how much you want to spend and if you need a tuner with RF skills because you are far and dont have an antenna or if you are too close and will have the signals too strong. Or if your signals are ok and are looking for sound quality above RF skills. You mentioned a specific period is that because you want to match the look? optonica did make a few tuners too but there is better for not much more $.
Ideally you buy something say from ebay nd have it shipped directly from the seller to someone that can align it for lowest distortion and give it a few perks... correct if needed the de-emphasis, replace filters for matched ones, minimize the pilot leakage, and update the output stage. But all this is extra. A good alignment and good input signal will get you most of what the chosen tuner can offer, I''m speaking to get the best possible from it, if it the start it is a good basis for upgrade.

Spend some time reading descriptions and looking at pictures of various models here
Www.fmtunerinfo.com to help you build a small list of tuners that you can patiently wait for on the market.

Paba

My only separate tuner is a Pioneer TX-6800. For my needs it's hard to beat for the price, performance and looks. Try to buy and test locally, if possible. Patience is your friend.

If you up your ante, and become a subscriber you can do a WTB in BT Equipment, or simply buy one as it comes up.
A lot of us have extra tuners which we like to go to another to be used!

A tuner is only as good as the reception at your house of your favorite station.

Unless you want a special look, 99% of the separate tuners available by the truck loads will play music well through your gear.

I have piles of tuners, none "aligned" and they work well. And I live in the forest in the mountains.

Go to a tech shop that does repairs and see if they are selling any tuners from people that did not come back to pick up their equipment. Repair shops in the Seattle area are loaded with equipment people just forgot about and the shops sell them only for the work they did to repair the unit. You can't get no cheaper than that.......and better equipment !!

Back
Top Bottom