Dedicated power line

The hospital-grade outlet I purchased last year puts a death grip on my plugs! :D So much more secure than the <$1 outlets that were installed in the family room, where heavier plugs and wall warts sag since the contact tension is so poor in the cheap residential grade outlets. They are definitely a noticeable improvement just in how they feel, not to mention giving the sound quality a subtle boost as well.

Update: project was put on hold to increase of work but I have learned so much so I will be doing some other rewiring when I do get around to this.

12 guage is sufficient for 20 amp circuits.

Run two 12-2, dont try to do two 120 volt curcuits off 12-3.

Agreed. I ran two 20 amp 12-2 lines for the quad receptacle powering my Power amps and Crossovers
Regards,
Jim

I'm no electrician but when I added a 20amp dedicated circuit for my HT gear in my family room I was advised to keep any lights with dimmers off the dedicated circuit.
Which no longer makes that a dedicated circuit.

I ran a dedicated 20 amp line to the outlet behind my 2 channel system about 3 years ago. I can't really say that I was able to hear any real improvement when I was finished, but I did feel better about it psychologically afterwords. :rflmao:

Fortunately or unfortunately we only have two phases of electrical power brought into the average home. Air conditioners, Ovens, Heaters, Hvac systems, Dryers, large micro waves, use both phases of the power feeding our homes so there is no way of truly Isolating our sound systems with separate circuits from being influenced by extraneous noise. Oh I guess you could install a Cummins or Genrac auxiliary power plant to totally isolate your system from the grid or put in solar panels or power generating wind mills. with an emergency transfer switch to power a few things in addition in the house when the local power plant fails or a strong storm comes along. I have always wanted an auxiliary power source similar to the auxiliary generator I have in my Class A motor home for the house. Its neat to be able to have the genset fire up when your batteries start running low or the power from the RV park fails at the most in opportune time automatically. All of our homes should have auxiliary power available. Throw a switch or push a button to fire up your power plant when you want to have clean power for your Sound system. or another switch to connect the essentials in your house with a power outage. If you are so blessed maybe you could have a separate genset for the house to keep your sound system totally isolated. Where to put the 250 gallon Propane tank. or 100 gallon diesel tank. You don't want diesel it would smell up the neighborhood. Thats why I only run the RV genset in emergencies or going down the road, it burns diesel.

What about the situation of most homes in the US, sharing their pole or ground mounted power company transformers 240 volt output, with as many as 3 other homes power drops ?

In my case, I share the split phase 240 volt output of my across the street pole mounted power transformer with my either side of me neighbors..

I can run a electrically clean & low noise house and use dedicated 20 amp circuits for my house`s systems, but without good power line filtering/conditioning at the audio system`s location, either neighbor could easily pollute the shared power drop, by them using a welder in their garage, or a noisy tower/laptop SMPS, microwave, etc.

So my point is, you can have a great local dedicated power circuit, that still might be noise polluted from being in a sense, directly connected to your neighbors, using of that same power line phase with whatever dirty electrical devices they may choose to use, or have automatically running, and that "quality" power conditioning on sensitive audio equipment power circuits might be a wise & beneficial investment, it has, and is for me.

Just a thought.

When my house was being built, I had a room at the basement reserved as a music room. So, it was pretty simple to run three separate 20A lines right off the breaker panel to that room. Nothing special about wires and wall sockets.

But, I think, the best investment is to get an online UPS of appropriate power handling to drive the hifi system. The "online" UPS, in contrast to cheap "standby" UPS systems differs in that it takes the AC from the wall, convert it to DC, charges batteries and regenerates clean AC sine wave power of the exact frequency and voltage, both being kept constant and clean. A brief note: not all online UPS generate sine wave output, the better ones do.

Some companies build just that, a high quality AC-DC-AC converter, usually without batteries, call that a power regenerator, and sell it for 5x the price of a high quality UPS. The UPS adds the added safety of not losing power abruptly and also better protects against brown-outs and allows you to do a tidy shutdown of the equipment in case there is a power failure. Or to continue listening uninterrupted if you get a couple of seconds short outage.

I don't have equipment that could produce a cleaner sound with clean AC but obviously any power amplifier would operate better with a correct given AC voltage that doesn't fluctuate or even give brief dips (such as when an elevator starts). It also makes it safer for the equipment and protects them against spikes, HF interference and lots of other things.

Back
Top Bottom