Deezer vs. Tidal

SWL3600

I've tried Tidal, now I want to try Deezer (lossless).

Anyone here tried both? How would you compare the two? Which one did you prefer?

This will be from my laptop with Windows 10.

Thanks!

Are you wanting to try Deezer because you think Tidal is not lossless or you just want to try something different?

Just want to try Deezer out of curiosity.

I'm happy with Spotify Premium but wish it was lossless.

Tried Tidal several times and really wanted to like it. Problem was there was a lot of music they didn't have that I was looking for. Not all music was lossless and although the lossless stuff sounded decent, the soundstage was collapsed and had a small sound compared to my cd player and yes.....Spotify Premium.

Yeah, I had an audio buddy come over and I did an unofficial blind test on him. Same song (SRV, Riviera Paradise among others) on either my CD player, Spotify Premium and Tidal HI-Fi.

Believe it or not (I know he couldn't).....Spotify sounded best, then the CD and Tidal came in last.

We both noticed that when comparing, Spotify had a little extra sizzle on the highs and an overall fuller sound. It wasn't quite as refined as the Redbook CD but had a pleasing sound that was not far behind the CD. Not far at all. Tidal sounded good but small. Soundstage was nowhere near as big as the other two.

I'll also add that I showed him the difference between EQing in the digital domain vs. not at all. He ordered a DEQ 2496 that same afternoon.

Hey, I followed you lead and signed up for 30 day trial of Deezer. Listened to acoustic Pat Matheny last night on headphones through Mojo dac. 16/44k . Not as much soundstage and clarity as my Flac files but better than iTunes.

[QUOTE="jbailey930, post: 11069092, member: 220787". Not as much soundstage and clarity as my Flac files [/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I noticed with Tidal.

I subscribed to both for about a year, and ended up dropping Deezer. Deezer did have a larger selection, but I found that Tidal generally sounded better (on non-Masters/MQA albums). It was a close call, but I couldn't justify both, and found myself using Tidal about 80% of the time. I also found that usually, though not always, my flac files ripped from CD sounded better than either.

Just want to try Deezer out of curiosity.

I'm happy with Spotify Premium but wish it was lossless.

Tried Tidal several times and really wanted to like it. Problem was there was a lot of music they didn't have that I was looking for. Not all music was lossless and although the lossless stuff sounded decent, the soundstage was collapsed and had a small sound compared to my cd player and yes.....Spotify Premium.

This was my exact experience. I've given Tidal a couple of shots, but just like the sound of Spotify Premium better. I signed up for a free trial of Deezer HiFi today and hope to hear a difference in the lossless songs.

I haven't gotten around to trying Deezer yet so I'm interested to hear your impressions.

Does Deezer let you control it from a smartphone like Spotify? This is something that I've really gotten used to.

I personally had a bad experience with Tidal... basically watermarking from some record labels ruined it for me.

reported here

I haven't gotten around to trying Deezer yet so I'm interested to hear your impressions.

Does Deezer let you control it from a smartphone like Spotify? This is something that I've really gotten used to.

See my post about Deezer. Lack of support for direct hardware access on Windows (ASIO/WASAPI) defeats the idea of paying premium for lossless. I don't think you can control it remotely but can be wrong as I haven't tried. Presumably Deezer lossless is coming to CCA at some point in the future. In other words don't bother, or at least not yet.

I personally had a bad experience with Tidal... basically watermarking from some record labels ruined it for me.

reported here
Maybe all of those high-end companies using Tidal to demo the music at the audio shows should be paying more attention to problems like this. I have heard a strange characteristic to a few tracks I played on Tidal over the past week. Thought it was just me...

If you like Spotify, give Apple Music a try. I used to use Spotify but find Apple Music sounds even better. It's difficult to tell apart from redbook CD. I tried Tidal as well and found it just didn't cut the mustard when it came to sound quality and music selection. I liked the way MQA sounded but beyond that the lossless files were just.. eh.

Are you referring to Tidal Hi-Fi? I find overall Tidal Hi-Fi/lossless (not even MQA) sounds noticeably better than Spotify Premium. I came across some titles on Tidaly that were only available as mp3s with with the Hi-Fi subscription, those I thought sounded slightly worse than the same titles on Spotify, so I would probably agree that compressed Tidal is worse than compressed Spotify Premium.

Back
Top Bottom