Definitive Technology BP7006 amp problem

Restless

Hey everyone,

I just took a big gamble on these BP7006. One amp is dead, and the other one cracks a little when playing, all drivers look good, and the cloths look really nice. I contacted DefTech but I was hoping someone here had some experience with issue or experience with Definitive customer service.

Cheers!

The amps in the 7006's seem to be a problem, we have a pair with one bad amp as well. For us its not worth the time or money to replace the amp. If it helps you, we could work something out for the good amp we have. Not trying to give you a sales pitch, if we can help we will.

Hey everyone,

I just took a big gamble on these BP7006. One amp is dead, and the other one cracks a little when playing, all drivers look good, and the cloths look really nice. I contacted DefTech but I was hoping someone here had some experience with issue or experience with Definitive customer service.

Cheers!

Are they under warranty? DT is very good at resolving issues. If they are out of warranty, they will still help you, it just will cost you some cash.

I don't know, and as I take it, your in Europe, so there might be a hefty shipping charge. My friend owns a local electronic store and he is a Definitive dealer. I know that they have been very responsive for repairs. I have repaired a few subs and one pair of towers. I think its best that you contact DT directly and they can start a process if you want to go down that road.

I don't know, and as I take it, your in Europe, so there might be a hefty shipping charge. My friend owns a local electronic store and he is a Definitive dealer. I know that they have been very responsive for repairs. I have repaired a few subs and one pair of towers. I think its best that you contact DT directly and they can start a process if you want to go down that road.
I've contacted them, yesterday didn't get a reply. Maybe early vacation due to the holidays? If not, can I use monoblocks to power that sub? Or is that a bad idea...?

These speakers are kind of unusual. The inputs on the back feature 5-way binding posts to drive everything but the built in sub-woofer, and then there is an LFE RCA jack for the sub-woofer, which is powered by the built in amplifier. Other then ripping out the amp, there is no way to get a signal to the sub-woofer. These are old speakers BTW, so you may have purchased yourself a head-ache. If you rip out the sub amp, I think (as I remember) part of the cross-over for the sub is on the amp board, so it's just not that easy to hook up some external amps and have your way with it.

You have what I would call "a can of worms".

'ner

DefTech got back to me, the amps are US139 each. He could not give me a price for the European models so calling a distributor today.

Hello, I hope that this is the proper manner in which to address my "situation"; I have just come across a pair of bp7006 speakers with what seems to be their common fault: failed amps for the built-in subs. Now, the seller is asking for $200, So I'm sure that ~$150 for the pair will be accepted. With the speakers in otherwise vg condition, is this a DIY bargain, or a potential nitemare? Assuming both amps need to be replaced, what would be a ballpark price for them? And, more importantly, even if a new set of amps isn't unreasonably expensive, would I be replacing a part that has known design flaws? The recurring story that comes up upon searching is that, while DT is very good at assisting in the replacement of these amps, there doesn't seem to be any indication that whatever causes this early failure has been addressed in the replacement units. So, being on a budget and, moreover, not wanting to replace a failed component with a failure-prone component, would there be any viable alternative to simply staying away from DR's bi-polar speakers? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks! Nick

Back
Top Bottom