Definitive Technology BP7006 goodwill store

chandlerh2

Hello all i stopped in the goodwill store today to look around and came upon these . They just put these out when i came in and i dont know a whole lot about them . But as soon as i looked at them and actually picked one up they look like high quality units. i got the set for 20 bucks figured i couldn't go wrong at that price . They are in excellent cosmetic condition got them home and hooked them up to a TEAC receiver we have down stairs they sound fantastic with the exception one powered sub is not working . Are these worth the effort to repair ?? I would like to repair the non working sub . For the hell of it i wonder how these would sound on my HH Scott 299D lol. But the model 6s sound really good on the scott

pxkp08PXG0ms2Hq5EFvasBvExkemIEWI9ztjI-wMpz9O0SUqZymAZk9g6WRV1jMOzxUVlygwpiX7OZF-fVrdDOpWv0eh6nziwcker4J5Mnj45PENadSW2iTyObaBe2NXb6Md1EatxXDWKZne46g7vQLkEnlI1IsexBwuPZrO7nQCwL0TtpLVTn-v9C4-mvuAUzq6rYE_8UK5SPjKVrrNjkMhWoOllQSB2fnuK-iaIVd0Nm6HyezKCEw5kBhP9SSln5_odn_h0yN6etzDKID4pzBe_9QUmbMOydwuaBd7KbfeEO2cDTzxFIyV25r1rvGBBqYCno9WEGHDDYku6BJrqqm1JmwL818nwyutPumGOlCeMU76dYlWeEBUCj8I3DTT4aQT7e9WtYHfahNJkRnB6FHAbnkTS1tLQ0J4kHYT_5rnA-mvPrcAWjhy80bTMta_yvy2vCyvfvpFcDQzhuuj8P14nZDYb25Uj0ZikOD5fRORstd5U-StwiczeW03ZSvqnAOSkmSLOpiAP6eyScGf6fGrRxTdUePGz74dtDOsYLg1fllk8Eap0YJ3CYftAoM4YIpAGXZpxD0xPYXlX4Z9uQtD9xOOKTGVF0hyLw=w165-h220-no

Last edited:
First of all, at $20, you stole those. Yes, they're worth repairing. First, I'd check the fuse. If that checks out OK, then check the driver with a multimeter (be aware that in some speakers, Definitive uses drivers with an odd impedance, like 70Ω or so). If the frame isn't stamped with the impedance, compare with the other one. Then I'd look on eBay to see if there's anyone who specializes in fixing these amps (it's usually cheaper than having a local tech doing it). Last resort, assuming you've determined that the problem is the amp, would be to contact Definitive (their support is excellent) and see if they offer an amp exchange or repair program.

First of all, at $20, you stole those. Yes, they're worth repairing. First, I'd check the fuse. If that checks out OK, then check the driver with a multimeter (be aware that in some speakers, Definitive uses drivers with an odd impedance, like 70Ω or so). If the frame isn't stamped with the impedance, compare with the other one. Then I'd look on eBay to see if there's anyone who specializes in fixing these amps (it's usually cheaper than having a local tech doing it). Last resort, assuming you've determined that the problem is the amp, would be to contact Definitive (their support is excellent) and see if they offer an amp exchange or repair program.
Thanks for the info i will start on this today
Steve

I live right below Annapolis Maryland i see these speakers are made in Baltimore Md i may be able to drive up and get new amp if needed. I know this am i wanted to see how they sounded with some power before i disassembled the speaker. Using my Yamaha receiver @100 watts rms per channel even with the one sub not working it filled the room with lots of sound amazed how good they sound .

Ok it appears the problem is the 8 inch woofer there is no travel (it is fried and stuck) and it is open found exact replacement for 50 bucks. Once i install new sub hopefully the amp is ok.

Why am I never around when this stuff hits goodwill. Great score.

If you're in my area, it's not because you aren't around when it hits goodwill, it's because it NEVER does.
And if it did, it wouldn't be anywhere near $20.
I'm really beginning to hate where I live.

Ok it appears the problem is the 8 inch woofer there is no travel (it is fried and stuck) and it is open found exact replacement for 50 bucks. Once i install new sub hopefully the amp is ok.

How exactly did you determine it's the woofer? Did you put a signal to it outside the speaker?

How exactly did you determine it's the woofer? Did you put a signal to it outside the speaker?
i checked the woofer with an ohm meter and it was open no continuity whats so ever . Also the woofer wouldn't travel up and down unless i forced it and you could feel the coil scraping as i moved it . I have a new woofer on the way will be here Monday.

Ok got replacement sub-woofer installed it and when i plugged amp in got hum from speaker . So it appears the amp is also toast .So i called definitive tech support and told them the issue i was having and they are sending me a new amp free of charge . Cant say enough about their tech support its awesome to say the least.

I knew their CS was good but never would have expected a free replacement amp. That really goes above and beyond...

I hate you!!!!!! :)
My goodwill pulls everything in to central location, then auctions unknown condition. You know how often it is broke.... no return.
I won't pay top dollar for untested electronics.

Once you get these working I'd be curious to see which sounds better - your Scott amp or the Yamaha. These weren't designed to be used with tubes, and it looks like the Scott amp is only around 24 watts per channel. Still, with the speaker's built-in sub amp, the power requirement shouldn't be too high.

Once you get these working I'd be curious to see which sounds better - your Scott amp or the Yamaha. These weren't designed to be used with tubes, and it looks like the Scott amp is only around 24 watts per channel. Still, with the speaker's built-in sub amp, the power requirement shouldn't be too high.
The 299D amp i have is 35 watts per channel but the yamaha is 100 watts per channel the Yamaha will probably drive them much better .But i am also curious how they will sound with the Scott 299D which sound fantastic with the Model 6s . they told me about a week to get the amp.

Back
Top Bottom