Deleting threads.

leesonic

Captured on security camera...
Subscriber
Any reason why we can't delete our own threads? I try and keep on top of stuff I've posted, for example, there's no reason for my "advice on laptop for black friday" thread to stay since it's been and gone.

Lee.

seems to me that we're back to just being able to edit our posts.its been a back and forth thing with the editing and deleting functions with the new software.one day its there the next it disappears.theres still lots of bugs with this new software that theyre working on.

Not to sound wise@$$, but once you post on the forum, the thread is no longer yours - it belongs to the forum. If other people post important information and you delete the thread, all that subsequent information is lost.

I asked one of our Moderators to delete a thread I started due to very incorrect information that I believed to be accurate. No problem, but I did learn to double check my information prior to posting.

Not to sound wise@$$, but once you post on the forum, the thread is no longer yours - it belongs to the forum. If other people post important information and you delete the thread, all that subsequent information is lost.

Not to sound like a wise-ass, but coming from an IT background, there's a lot to be said for people being able to delete their own threads. If everyone on this site did some basic housekeeping, and deleted old threads that were no longer relevant, I'm sure the amount of server/storage space would be significantly reduced.

I also don't believe in the "belonging to the forum" part. If I want to throw my teddy bear out of the crib, and take all my posts elsewhere, surely that's my right? It sounds too much like Facebook, where every picture you post becomes their property. That's one of the reasons I don't do Facebook.

Lee.

Not to sound like a wise-ass, but coming from an IT background, there's a lot to be said for people being able to delete their own threads. If everyone on this site did some basic housekeeping, and deleted old threads that were no longer relevant, I'm sure the amount of server/storage space would be significantly reduced.

I also don't believe in the "belonging to the forum" part. If I want to throw my teddy bear out of the crib, and take all my posts elsewhere, surely that's my right? It sounds too much like Facebook, where every picture you post becomes their property. That's one of the reasons I don't do Facebook.

Lee.

The precedent is there - Lansing Forum has a 24 hour limit on Posts -
after that, no edits and no deletes.
You post supportive tech stuff, or childish comments - it will live on forever.

I also don't believe in the "belonging to the forum" part. If I want to throw my teddy bear out of the crib, and take all my posts elsewhere, surely that's my right? ...

Lee.

The AK rules you agreed to when signing up seem pretty clear in this regard.

Here's one sentence from those rules -

All posted content is licensed to AK, for permanent use on this site.

Now, that said, I haven't had any pushback from Moderation/Admin when asking for one of my threads or posts to be deleted.

Hiya,

Couple Thoughts Here.

1. If you are selling stuff on BT I agree that being able to delete or even move threads to completed would be helpful.
Although when deleting threads we lose historical pricing info. Some sellers seem to think that (Old "Sold" Pricing) impinges upon later sales I guess.

2. Deleting threads elsewhere I am against it because more than a few times it seems to be a backlash type of move.
Some folks use it to compensate for occasional angry outbursts. I have also seen VERY snarky responses sent and then retracted in some childish attempt to send a "Message" to a poster.
Deleting in this case is the equivalent of throwing a Rock and running away. Its cowardly and childish behavior.

I guess what I am saying is that if the ability to delete a thread is to fix a honest mistake I am all for it. But honestly (Hah Hah A Pun) how often does that really happen ?? Moderators can handle this for now.

If someone is deleting threads to cover up bad , anti social behavior or is just being a "Jerk" on the way out I would think that should stay.

If someone is deleting threads to improve sales at BT or whatever I honestly could care less about that. Other than don't complain down the line when no one knows what something is worth.

So in effect if you are a decent , caring , respectful of others and giving value around here you should not be deleting many threads at all IMHO.

So take your time. Think about what you are posting before posting. Consider that what you post is going to be seen by thousands (Over a long time via Internet Search) and you should not feel much of a need to delete anything.

Frannie

I guess what I am saying is that if the ability to delete a thread is to fix a honest mistake I am all for it. But honestly (Hah Hah A Pun) how often does that really happen ?? Moderators can handle this for now.

It just did and I'd rather the moderators not know about it. I'm just gonna let it sit there and rot until I get my delete powers back.

It just did and I'd rather the moderators not know about it. I'm just gonna let it sit there and rot until I get my delete powers back.
Did you think that refraining from asking would keep the mods from remaining unaware of the post in question?

Personally, I prefer that someone ask, than let something sit there, out of, what, hubris?

But that's just me.

The precedent is there - Lansing Forum has a 24 hour limit on Posts -
after that, no edits and no deletes.
You post supportive tech stuff, or childish comments - it will live on forever.

Yes one could state that to be the case, but would not those precedents and rules be no longer valid when AK states "when becoming a paid subscriber one of the extra benefits is the ability to delete post". So in effect those very sections of the rules are not applicable to the paid subscriber. Here are the listed benefits for those members who wish to become a subscriber, copied and pasted from AK.

Now why in the world would you want to become a subscriber? Well, first it helps to keep the site afloat. Secondly you are getting Gobs of good stuff for your money.

For the fee of $25.00 you will not only help in supporting one of the best sites around but also get the following features:

New forums only for Subscribers
Increase PM capacity to 1500 ( 150 for Reg members )
Increase picture storage to 200 meg ( Reg members get 30 meg )
User Album, 2.5 megabytes
Ability to delete your posts
larger signatures
Change color of name
Use of animated gifs
Set yourself to be invisible to the rest of the board.

This will be tweaked and additional features may be added in the future.

I would be willing to bet that the benefit of being able to delete post might be technical problem rather than choice by moderators problem. If that is not the case, the part written where it states the benefits of a paid subscriber being able to delete post should be removed, and some clarification as to those extra benefits should be explained. It really isn't hard to clear up this matter, a simple post by an administrator explaining their new policy, and if in fact the delete button is a benefit that is going to be restored when they figure it out or if they have choosen not to provide it with a paid subscription.

Last edited:
I'd asked about an updated list in the AK Subscribers thread some time ago. It's obvious that the list needs to at least be revised to reflect the new forum terminology. It's been over 100 days since the switch. At the very least someone should be able to say by now whether any benefit/feature is NLA or TBD.

For the fee of $25.00 you will not only help in supporting one of the best sites around but also get the following features:

New forums only for Subscribers
Increase PM capacity to 1500 ( 150 for Reg members )
Increase picture storage to 200 meg ( Reg members get 30 meg )
User Album, 2.5 megabytes

Ability to delete your posts
larger signatures
Change color of name

Use of animated gifs
Set yourself to be invisible to the rest of the board.

Oh yeah? I just tried posting an animated GIF, and that's not available any more.

Lee.

Hiya,

Yah what a rip off this place is.

I can't contain the sarcasm actually.

Frannie

Hiya,

Yah what a rip off this place is.

I can't contain the sarcasm actually.

Frannie

Wow!

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, just in case you didn't know. If we don't post issues and problems with this new site, how is anything supposed to change?

Lee.

Hiya,

Wow!

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, just in case you didn't know. If we don't post issues and problems with this new site, how is anything supposed to change?

Lee.

Thanks for that.

Anyhow you are complaining about not being able to post animated Gifs.

The year 1996 called and wants that type of web graphic back.

Frannie

Back
Top Bottom