demagnetizing tape heads with degaussing coil?

dewdude

High on resolution.
Subscriber
ok, so, we have this pretty heafty 13" degaussing coil at work (http://www.happcontrols.com/monitors/49055900.htm) that does quite a job at demagnetizing tubes. think if i ran this thing around the front of the unit it'd do the job? it's effective field is pretty good..causing quite the distortion even before you get close to the tube.

Actually I shuddered when I read this.....
Don't believe it will have the effect of reducing the magnetism in a tape unit. All regular demag units are iron cored for the purpose of concentrating the magnetism in the demag unit/using that to "draw" the magnetism out of the tape units ferrous parts. A degaussing coil, to my way of thinking will probably set up some pretty fierce induced currents in the heads if no where else. Probably would also blow other sensitive parts.

Ron

I wouldnt recommend it as its too strong of a field and like Ron said it might do some damage. I would just look for a demagnetizer that is designed for your application. Their not that expensive and there are plenty of them still around you just have to do a little searching. Good Luck...
-Tony

well, i just thought i'd ask. i don't buy stuff online...i don't have a credit card because i choose not to have one...and no one has one locally...although i've been trying to call this guy that's selling an Onkyo TA-207 for 15 bucks and among the box of accessories is a cassete-type head-demagetizer.

but, yeah, locally, you can't even find tape decks or accessories...aside from blanks, and try getting a Type II in this town...the majority of stores here carry Maxell UR Type I's...except the dollar store which has TDK D-90's..i went to every place i could think of last week to find some type II's..RadioShack had a 3 pack of HC-110's..and i did manage to find a Rite-Aid with a 5pack of Maxell XLII's....but it was thier last one and the product sticker was on the pack, and not the shelf, indicating they don't plan on carrying more.

If you have a checking account use your debit card or ask around here someone may have one their not using. I grabbed mine off ebay.

Ron

There are dedicated tape head demagnetizers for sale on eBay all the time. IIRC, they're usually less than $20.

yeah...like...my money currently isn't tracked on paper any more than required by the IRS, and I like it that way...they only know how much I made..they have no way to prove what i bought...i mean, you guys think it's silly...but, it makes me secure..then I know that if an account is ever opened in my name, it obviously isn't mine, however, until I absolutely have to acquire one, I make due with what I can. I'm acquiring one tomorrow as part of a lot of stuff that includes an Onkyo tape deck...that makes 3 for me. i'm insane.

Back
Top Bottom