Demonstrating your Mac System

Status
Not open for further replies.

forzaroma

I have to thank this group for convincing me to buy the "Love" CD - it's what I now use to show-off my C220/MC252. To return the favor, I'd like to bring to your attention the soundtrack to "Master and Commander" - no, it's not Master Lu's autobiography.

I am not a big fan of soundtracks in general, but this one is combines great sound with very good music and it's an amazing "show-off" and system test recording.

For bass response and impact, I can't think of many better tracks than the the ominous drums at the very beginning of the CD (and also throughout the recording).

For massed strings, there are several sections with the orchestra at full bore - can your system sort it all out? Some pieces use smaller, chamber-like ensemble, recorded with some very natural sounding room reverberation - nice to see how naturally your system resolves the decay.

Track 9 is a Bach prelude for solo cello (played by Yo-Yo Ma). I always like to see what an unaccompanied cello sounds like on a system.

Lots of solo and double violins (can you hear the "rosin" + lots of pizzicatos to check transients), flutes, and rarely heard instruments (e.g. Uillean pipes, Jew's harp, whistles) keep the music interesting and allow you to sample how your system deals with a lot of different sounds and instruments.

Great sound and dynamics from beginning to end.

It must sound awesome in Master Lu's system.

Anyway. Thanks again for recommending "Love", and I am pretty sure most of you would "Master and Commander" a worthy purchase, a workout for your system, and an audio treat for you and your guests.

Forza Roma

forzaroma said:
I have to thank this group for convincing me to buy the "Love" CD - it's what I now use to show-off my C220/MC252. To return the favor, I'd like to bring to your attention the soundtrack to "Master and Commander" - no, it's not Master Lu's autobiography.

I am not a big fan of soundtracks in general, but this one is combines great sound with very good music and it's an amazing "show-off" and system test recording.

For bass response and impact, I can't think of many better tracks than the the ominous drums at the very beginning of the CD (and also throughout the recording).

For massed strings, there are several sections with the orchestra at full bore - can your system sort it all out? Some pieces use smaller, chamber-like ensemble, recorded with some very natural sounding room reverberation - nice to see how naturally your system resolves the decay.

Track 9 is a Bach prelude for solo cello (played by Yo-Yo Ma). I always like to see what an unaccompanied cello sounds like on a system.

Lots of solo and double violins (can you hear the "rosin" + lots of pizzicatos to check transients), flutes, and rarely heard instruments (e.g. Uillean pipes, Jew's harp, whistles) keep the music interesting and allow you to sample how your system deals with a lot of different sounds and instruments.

Great sound and dynamics from beginning to end.

It must sound awesome in Master Lu's system.

Anyway. Thanks again for recommending "Love", and I am pretty sure most of you would "Master and Commander" a worthy purchase, a workout for your system, and an audio treat for you and your guests.

Forza Roma

Thanks for the return Favor! :thmbsp:

I just bought it!

For those of you that like jazz, you should check out Midnight Sugar from Yamamoto, Tsuyoshi trio. Also, Proprius just released a limited edition (3000 units) 3 cd/sacd hybrid and 1 dvd set for Jazz at the Pawnshop. The three volumes of Jazz at the Pawnshop are considered by many to be some of the best recordings available.

masterlu said:
Thanks for the return Favor! :thmbsp:

I just bought it!

My pleasure Master Lu; frankly I am somewhat surprised that you don't already have it in your library.

Make sure you start with the volume low on this one. With your 1,000s of watts, the drums in the first track might blow-up your windows:D

Please post your impressions after you get it.

ForzaRoma

Thanks for the heads up guys! I just bought the limited edition Jazz at Pawn Shop (too good to pass up) and the M&C soundtrack which will remind me of the days I HAD a home theater setup and would play that movie to show off my rather modest setup. (B&K AVR 307/Monitor Audio speakers/Velodyne sub.) Midnight sugar too, I'll give it a try. :thmbsp:

forzaroma said:
My pleasure Master Lu; frankly I am somewhat surprised that you don't already have it in your library.

Make sure you start with the volume low on this one. With your 1,000s of watts, the drums in the first track might blow-up your windows:D

Please post your impressions after you get it.

ForzaRoma

I have no windows in the Theater, but I will take it easy at first. I do of course have the dts DVD.

I will post my impressions.

Thx, Ivan

PHC1 said:
Thanks for the heads up guys! I just bought the limited edition Jazz at Pawn Shop (too good to pass up) and the M&C soundtrack which will remind me of the days I HAD a home theater setup and would play that movie to show off my rather modest setup. (B&K AVR 307/Monitor Audio speakers/Velodyne sub.) Midnight sugar too, I'll give it a try. :thmbsp:

Serge, you recommend this one too?

Ivan, this says it all. "Numbered Limited Edition Box of only 3000 Copies Workdwide! Contains 20 minutes of previously unreleased music and bonus DVD Video!

Jazz at the Pawnshop is one of the most famous audiophile records in music. These sessions recorded at the jazz club Stampen (Pawnshop) in Stockholm in 1976 by Gert Palmcrantz has an extraordinary presence and a genuine live feeling."

In a few weeks, you will fall into one of two groups, those that "have" the limited edition Jazz at the Pawnshop or those that "don't".:D

PHC1 said:
I just bought the limited edition Jazz at Pawn Shop

Could you please list some added details as to where I could locate this collection. We love Jazz.

Thank You!
Matt

Just received confirmation and tracking from Elusive Disc, my copy is on the way. That was fast!:thmbsp:

www.mayaudio.com also sells them. I received my copy from them today. Thankfully Nizar told me about it last week when I was talking to him about other stuff. He's also the one the turned me onto Midnight Sugar.

You'll probably have to call them to order it. I don't think the website has been updated.

Matt

PHC1 said:
In a few weeks, you will fall into one of two groups, those that "have" the limited edition Jazz at the Pawnshop or those that "don't".:D

I am now in the group that has it! Thanks :thmbsp:

MCBrennan said:
Thank You!

Does the MCD1000 play SACD, or will you use the MCD201 for this set?

The MCD1000 will not play SACD. If it's 2 channel MCD201, if it's multi-channel MVP-871 :music:

Does the MCD1000 play SACD, or will you use the MCD201 for this set?
Nope, no SACD through the MCD/MDA combo. However, most SACD have 2 channel also, given the 1976 date of original recording (most likely 2 channel analog tapes), even though it has been re-mastered since, the SACD may or may not offer superior recording, it depends on the re-mastering. There have been only a handful of SACDs so far where I could honestly hear an improvement over the redbook version of the older recordings. I will certainly try both ways on my 201/275 combo, easy enough to compare on the 201, this is the system where I listen to most of my jazz anyways. Multi-channel, since I have been banished from that paradise a while ago, the 2 channel will have to do. Oh the burden and the weight of our sins...

PHC1 said:
Nope, no SACD through the MCD/MDA combo. However, most SACD have 2 channel also, given the 1976 date of original recording (most likely 2 channel analog tapes), even though it has been re-mastered since, the SACD may or may not offer superior recording, it depends on the re-mastering. There have been only a handful of SACDs so far where I could honestly hear an improvement over the redbook version of the older recordings. I will certainly try both ways on my 201/275 combo, easy enough to compare on the 201, this is the system where I listen to most of my jazz anyways. Multi-channel, since I have been banished from that paradise a while ago, the 2 channel will have to do. Oh the burden and the weight of our sins...

Most SACD has "Hybrid" capability ... so will play on 2 Channel only.

I will go try to look for this piece over here. if not, Serge, can I PM you to help procure one? We can work out the details ...... Can?

PHC1 said:

One such SACD that is clearly better & will rip on the MS-300 is Steely Dan "Gaucho" :music:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom