1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Denon’s New Turntables

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by johnda, Dec 1, 2018.

1. johnda

johnda AK Subscriber Subscriber

I still have my Denon DP300f running with my Grado Green cartridge, but Denon has introduced a new pair of turntables as the next step. The DP 400 and DP 450 USB. The DP 450 USB has a USB port built into the base allowing you to record the music on a USB stick. The DP400 sells for $500 and the DP 450USB sells for $600.

A key improvement from the DP300f is that both models now have an S styled tone arm which comes with a tone arm lock. Both units now have RCA jacks for audio output and the cables are not internallly connected.

Both units have a built-in amplifier that can be switched on or off allowing you to connect to any type of amplifier or receiver.

The only thing that I am not comfortable with is the plastic guard which lays on the platter and can then be used to support an album. I’m just old I guess and I prefer the standard dust cover which has hinges. I really am looking forward to seeing these babies in action!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. johnda

I have discovered that Thorens now has the same dust cover system and the theory is that the dust cover being not attached to the plinth will reduce the possibilities of vibrations. I feel the new Denon turntables will continue the high quality performance that I have experienced with the 300f, Christmas is coming!

3. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Why would you think an "S" shaped tonearm is superior?

4. johnda

Actually it is the tonearm “lock” that I am really glad to see. I lost two Grado Green cartridges to my cleaning person tilting the turntable on my DP 300f and having the arm swing across the plinth and knocking the stylus off! Esthetically I do like a S shaped arm as I have had on my AR and Technics turntables.

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  5. charles 1973

charles 1973 Super Member

I like that DP 450USB. It looks like a good choice if you want high quality (relatively speaking) sound, Semi-Auto operation, and the big bonus...the ability to digitize your prized recordings. I see a lot of cheap turntables with USB output, But not many of this caliber.

I would have preferred the straight tone arm, Don't worry, They can still get the cartridge lined up correctly. But it's no big deal. I like the new cover myself.

I never heard the DP300, But by most accounts, It too is a turntable I would be happy with. Just no digital output.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 7:44 AM