Denon 103, 103R, 301......Which one would you get?

SUTs can be ideal if you feed them into a good quiet phono line stage
The only drawback is that all SUTs won't work optimally with all low output transducers (low output moving coils) giving rise to the possibility that you may need more than one if you have more than one moving coil (with different output voltages) in order to realize the different cartridges' full potential
Obviously they should be matched as best possible

If you've found a good match that makes you happy then stick with it
No need to fool with a good thing

I gave up on SUTs when OP amp based phono stages made gain and loading changes possible with well designed all in one units - simplicity and flexibility - and they are QUIET
This being one instance where I have come to appreciate good ICs from folks like Analog Devices and Texas Instruments (Burr-Brown) rather than a combination of passive married to discrete archetecture
Took a while for the "new technology" to catch up with the old
I'm using a Lux 8020 silver wire SUT..it's specifically made for the 103, a few other Sony carts as well @ 40 ohm loading..into a very quiet JJ Curcio designed tube MM stage
Also use an Audio Note MM stage which is very nice but I think the Curcio is just a tad quieter. I would like to at some point try another cart but hard to beat how well this SUT matches the Denon. I would love to find a 103S.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-AD8000.html

Besides compliance, the most important difference is output followed by stylus type
Proper loading will differ in order to realize the full potential of any of them
Depending on whether you use a transformer, a head amp or if your phono amp provides the gain needed, that will be the ultimate deciding factor as for the most overlooked aspect of all of this as far as rewards go
Noise floor
And that will determine the overall arc of performance to a LARGE degree, i.e. - inner detail without the veil and good transient response
You can't have it all without being able to control or adjust the variables, not just the cartridge itself
The higher the cart's output, the greater the chances are for raising the noise floor
It all depends on your hardware (how much flexibility or what you have) AFTER the cart

My SUT is a Lounge Audio Copla which has an knob to adjust the impedance on the cartridge. I generally leave it set to 150 ohms with the 103 but I will adjust it depending on the record to tweak the sound. Hopefully this will allow me to get the best sound of the 301 too.

My SUT is a Lounge Audio Copla which has an knob to adjust the impedance on the cartridge. I generally leave it set to 150 ohms with the 103 but I will adjust it depending on the record to tweak the sound. Hopefully this will allow me to get the best sound of the 301 too.
I've never heard it but I have read the literature
That's a neat device

I was glad to have found it. Lounge Audio was really nice in answering my questions, they also installed a bypass switch free of charge (less shipping) to allow me to use MM carts without the need to disconnect the Copla from the system.

I had also read the Copla was voiced around the DL103 so that might be why there seems to be great synergy with the combo.

The 301 will be installed this afternoon once UPS drops it off. I'll let it play through a few LPs before giving it a more critical listen. Might even bust out the Shure Test record I picked up from eBay.

get aa moving coil that has an eliptical stylus or better, those have conical styli which do not track as well. Any groove a stli can't negotiate, it carves.

get aa moving coil that has an eliptical stylus or better, those have conical styli which do not track as well. Any groove a stli can't negotiate, it carves.
That's a myth and factually erroneous
Better chance of engraving a record with anything other than a conical
Conicals are also more forgiving of a poor or less than perfect set up
Most groove friendly stylus there is

not true, play a cd 4 quad record with a conical and see what happens. if a conical stylus is the best stylus for records, why did all those other stylus designs get made in the first place? Conicals are good for making noisy records less noisy when you play them. I have two turntables, one has a cart with a conical stylus, and a 78rpm cart in a headshell for 78's. The conical cannot compete soundwise with my AT150MLX or, the grado gold, Conicals do not track nearly as well as later designs .

not true, play a cd 4 quad record with a conical and see what happens. if a conical stylus is the best stylus for records, why did all those other stylus designs get made in the first place? Conicals are good for making noisy records less noisy when you play them. I have two turntables, one has a cart with a conical stylus, and a 78rpm cart in a headshell for 78's. The conical cannot compete soundwise with my AT150MLX or, the grado gold, Conicals do not track nearly as well as later designs .
Now that's a reach
The format's obsolete for a reason

A conical has the widest scanning radius of all stylus profiles. If the scanning radius is greater than the curvature of the groove wall it will wear it down. This is called HF loss and affects predominanantly the inner grooves. This is well known, and the CBS Labs test record (one of them) has a test for it.

You can't make blanket claims about a whole class of styli and cartridges based on the one or two examples (anecdotal) that you happen to own
May be true for what you personally own but hardly qualifies as an absolute for all
The "Shibata" was developed by JVC to play a record format that RCA wanted to be the next big thing and it didn't work out, for a number of reasons
Lasted maybe 7 years or so
The line contacts remain with us to this day, in various guises, they do possess some attributes that when carefully employed, on the right tonearms can result in excellent results
Never argued that
Even with an approved tip, record wear was an issue with these discs due to tonearms, setups and a half a dozen other issues
It was a good idea in theory, not so much in practice
Kind of like Edison's hill and dale discs
I'm not going to precipitate, or condemn, a stylus profile choice based on a 100 or so releases in a format long gone

A conical has the widest scanning radius of all stylus profiles. If the scanning radius is greater than the curvature of the groove wall it will wear it down. This is called HF loss and affects predominanantly the inner grooves. This is well known, and the CBS Labs test record (one of them) has a test for it.
Record groove walls are cut on an angle, they aren't "curved"
The grooves on a CD-4 disc are WIDER than a conventional stereo or mono disc
That's why the shorter playing time

Whatever...they don't look straight to me.

Regardless, what I said was true when the LP microgroove became the norm. It's still true today. Even moreso with stereo records.
Microgroove records, 12-inch, 33-1/3 Lps, became available in Summer 1948
CD-4 was launched in 1971
The Shibata stylus was patented in 1973
It's development was the result of an attempt to save an already doomed format (in the public's mind)
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/rca_page.htm

Got the 301mk2 mounted on a stock technics headshell and was up and spinning in under 15 minutes. Tacking force is currently 1.5 grams and the impedance loading is set around 100 ohms. No noticeable nasties on the needle drop so I'm going to let it play as is. Sound so far is very clean, smooth and detailed. I'm noticing what I thought was noise is actually the squeaking of the drum pedals and other small little details are now being rendered. Its also a little tricky to evaluate since I just got new speakers on the same day so everything will be breaking in together. Off to a good start so hopefully it all continues to deliver more of what i'm hearing.

Got the 301mk2 mounted on a stock technics headshell and was up and spinning in under 15 minutes. Tacking force is currently 1.5 grams and the impedance loading is set around 100 ohms. No noticeable nasties on the needle drop so I'm going to let it play as is. Sound so far is very clean, smooth and detailed. I'm noticing what I thought was noise is actually the squeaking of the drum pedals and other small little details are now being rendered. Its also a little tricky to evaluate since I just got new speakers on the same day so everything will be breaking in together. Off to a good start so hopefully it all continues to deliver more of what i'm hearing.
Denon helped write the book on Lp playback as much as any of them did when records were king
You can't go wrong with any Denon cartridge
Relax and enjoy it

Its also a little tricky to evaluate since I just got new speakers on the same day so everything will be breaking in together. Off to a good start so hopefully it all continues to deliver more of what i'm hearing.
More than tricky, impossible now as far as this thread subject goes
Wish you had listened a while with what you were running with the 103 and render your impressions on that

More than tricky, impossible now as far as this thread subject goes
Wish you had listened a while with what you were running with the 103 and render your impressions on that

This was my original plan but temptation proved to be too much...

I will likely change the speakers back next week and to an A/B with the two Denon carts. The rest of my gear is the same with the Technics 1210mk2 into the Copla SUT and finally into my recapped Sansui AU-517. Old-school tech but it sounds damn good and gets out of the way and lets the music pour forth!

it is NOT anecdotal the matter of if I have quad records or not has nothing to do with it. I used the quad as an extreme example. if conical styli is superior to all others, why all Denon moving coils conical? oh I guess they charge more for those because of their inferior tracking ability compared to their lower end MC's. I have a Grado gold I use to play clean lp's and 45's. I have a second table that has a Stanton 500 conical cart on it, on my old Kappa ( speakers the conical seemed to give the grado a good run for it's money all things considered, now that I have more revealing speakers ( on the same system other wise) the stanton with a conical, falls far short in detail reteival and now I know why the grado gold sells for more than the stanton 500. This can be a double edged sword however, play a beat up record on a higher end cart, and you hear more noise. Elipticals track better ( and mistracking does not mean skipping or getting stuck in a grroove, like a lot of people think)

That 103 was a DJ ( as in radio) cartrige when it was introduced. and there is a reason DJ's used conicals after others styli shapes were developed. Elliptical styli weren't invented to save a dying format. Any groove a styli can not track perfectly, it will carve into it BECAUSE it cannot track it properly. Conicals are also good for wide grooved 12 inch single because they are forgiving. But that is at the expense of detail. Don't believe me? go up a few models in denon's line and you will see, the 103 is best for 45rpm records and any record with slightly elevated amounts of noise.

it is NOT anecdotal the matter of if I have quad records or not has nothing to do with it. I used the quad as an extreme example. if conical styli is superior to all others, why all Denon moving coils conical? oh I guess they charge more for those because of their inferior tracking ability compared to their lower end MC's. I have a Grado gold I use to play clean lp's and 45's. I have a second table that has a Stanton 500 conical cart on it, on my old Kappa ( speakers the conical seemed to give the grado a good run for it's money all things considered, now that I have more revealing speakers ( on the same system other wise) the stanton with a conical, falls far short in detail reteival and now I know why the grado gold sells for more than the stanton 500. This can be a double edged sword however, play a beat up record on a higher end cart, and you hear more noise. Elipticals track better ( and mistracking does not mean skipping or getting stuck in a grroove, like a lot of people think)

That 103 was a DJ ( as in radio) cartrige when it was introduced. and there is a reason DJ's used conicals after others styli shapes were developed. Elliptical styli weren't invented to save a dying format. Any groove a styli can not track perfectly, it will carve into it BECAUSE it cannot track it properly. Conicals are also good for wide grooved 12 inch single because they are forgiving. But that is at the expense of detail. Don't believe me? go up a few models in denon's line and you will see, the 103 is best for 45rpm records and any record with slightly elevated amounts of noise.
I don't know what your point is, or why you're upset
No one said that conical styli were superior to all others
Plenty of DJs used the Stanton 681EEE series of carts and styli (just one example) when records were still played on air and the Stereohedron is no simple cut (it sure ain't no conical)

The Denon DL-103 was developed for professional use and that includes A&R professionals not just or limited to the broadcast industry (although back in the day, radio broadcast was "hi-fi", think the BBC)
It is still in production today (and I don't think there are too many radio stations here in the U.S. still playing records live on air, not enough to warrant it still being produced just for that purpose) so someone beside DJs are (still) using it wouldn't you think?
The more expensive DL-103r is a conical stylus as well
The DL-103 sells for the price that it does for two reasons - the cost of R&D have long been amortized, decades ago and two, it is still widely popular with audio enthusiasts who own the equipment necessary to support it (and I doubt too many DJs are in that group, meaning using it for their gigs)

But I will say it again, NO ONE in this thread that I have read said it was "superior" to anything. In fact the thread title invites the discussion of which is preferable and why

You are the one that made the factually erroneous absolute statement that conical styli engrave records, and again, all I am saying is that if set up properly on a good tonearm that is just not the case

If it were the case then no one would buy it

Why aren't all Denon cartridges using a conical stylus? For the same reason that all automobiles aren't V-8s

Back
Top Bottom