Denon AVR-3802 - Damn good receiver!

M Jarve

Audio Geek and NGE Freak
Many moons ago, when I was still into home theater and less into high-fidelity, I bought my first "serious" piece of gear, the Denon AVR-3300. This was, at the time, Denon's "mass-market" über-HTR, something for those who could afford a fine $1000 receiver, but could not part with the $4300 for the TOTL AVR-5800, or even the "little brother" AVR-4800. As my HT system grew in complexity, and I had more money I knew what to do with (a problem I no longer have) I traded the 3300 in for the 5800. The 5800 was a true monster receiver, the modern equivalent of an SX-1980 or Marantz 2600. But, I later came to regret the decision to trade in the 3300, as the 5800's musical performance was not as good. But, by the time I actually cared, I was well into 2-channel high-fi, and no longer had the inclination or motive to play with HT any more.

Fast-forward to today. As I was going around in Duluth, I made my usual rounds through the pawn shops, and spotted a Denon AVR-3802 hiding among the various orphaned HTiaB nerve centers. It was priced, according to my internal Blue-Book™, very fairly, and I plunked down my money and brought it home.

Well aware that I was not planning on getting back on the HT path, I decided to set up the receiver in my two-channel system, substituting for my Musical Fidelity A3cr preamp and harman/kardon hk775 mono-blocks. I connected the Emotiva ERC-1 CD player to the coaxial digital in, as well as the analog input, and the speakers are my more-or-less DIY, very nearly Infinity QLS-3's.

I put on Evanescence The Open Door and let it rip. I was astounded. I had not been expecting what I heard at all. This was not some weak, want to die when the speaker hits <2Ω typical HTR sound. This was something that would nearly give my usual 2-chan components a run for their money. The sound was very well balanced, neither cool nor warm, and bass possessed impact and weight, as well as tight control. There was no sign of the sound getting thin as I turned up the volume, though the high-end did become slightly indistinct and bass got a little out of control as I approached 0 on the dial. There was nothing near the headroom or finesse of the h/k's at these levels (thought the h/k's are rated for only 20-watts more into 8Ω), but it performed admirably.

At my more typical listening levels, the 3802 was a couple heads behind my usual setup, mostly in achieving the final bits of detail. Again, I've not encountered an amp aside from the Pass Labs X.250 that can equal the h/k's in this regard, but the 3802 made a tremendous showing.

Switching between the digital and analog input for the CD player proved some interesting contrasts. The in-built DAC of the Denon is a 96k/24-bit unit (I've not opened the hood to see what make, but would expect Analog Devices, given the used of the Analog Devices SHARC DSP chip); the DAC built into the Emotiva ERC-1 is a 192k/24 unit. Between the two, I preferred the sound using the Emotiva's DAC (via the analog input), as using the digital input resulted in a more overtly digital sound, but it was a matter of degrees. If I walked in and did not know which was playing at any given time, I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

The 3802 features a Direct mode that apparently bypasses a large part of the preamp and DSP blocks. Engaging this mode resulted in a slightly more edged sound (contrary to what I expected), with a little bit more "air" and a slight thinning of the bass region. I actually preferred the sound when the receiver was not in Direct mode, which was a bit surprising to me. This held true for both the analog and digital input.

In order to cram 700+ watts of amplification into the unit, and maintain a smallish form factor (not to mention keep the weight down) the heatsink is a little on the small side, but is fan-cooled. Not once during the performance did I notice any noise from the fan, and the exhaust and area above the heatsink never became more than slightly warm. Peering through the cover, I could see the fan spinning, but it was as silent as I've ever heard.

Many HTR's make claim to power outputs that are, to say the least, optimistic. This is due mostly to the rather small power supply you find in such units. That's not a problem for the 3802, however. The power transformer is simply the biggest EI-core transformer I've seen in a HT receiver, and a good majority of the unit's 35-lbs weight is contained in that transformer. The transformer is partnered up with a couple 15,000µFd electrolytic caps, and there are additional largish smoothing caps placed around the unit. Denon could have spent more money on better shielding of the digital and analog portions, or a luxurious front panel, but I'm pleased to see they spent it where it counts.

All and all, the 3802 is a fine, flexible, musical receiver. A unit that redeems HTR's a good deal, in my book, and proves that high-tech surround features does not preclude excellent musical performance.

I agree...very good summary and description of the typical Denon sound. I'm a huge fan of their AVRs and usually don't listen to 2 channel through my HT system, but once in awhile I'll sit in the TV room with just a cd playing and doze off in the chair. My Denon 3803 is capable of delivering pleasant sounds just fine thank you.

I've had a similiar experience with a Denon AVR 2805, which is a HTR reciever that was $900 6 years ago but I bought for $99 with free shipping on eBay.

It performed very well and had the Direct and analog optins you mentioned. Plenty of power but a little thin sounding at volume. I preferred the DAC of my Marantz CD SACD player to the Denon's.

Where it shined was as a pre-amp. You have to go through the Zone B pre-amp out but it was very capable. Neutral, with lots of other options like a remote, great FM tuner, and a subwoofer output.

I've since sold it for more than I paid and replaced it with a B&K pre and an older Kenwood Basic M1a amp.

Bottom line: excellent sound with lots of options for not lots of money. It would serve many listeners well.

I concur. Have owned a 3600, 5800 and 480XCI. They all impressed me in 2 channel Direct mode.

I have a Denon AVR2800 from around 2000.Picked it up for $35 with the remote from my local thrift.I did a head to head comparison with a Sansui 890db and JBL L100 speakers.I was surprised that this Denon(85 wpc) held its own for the most part with the Sansui(85 wpc).I was expecting the Sansui to kill it in every way.It didn't.I felt the Sansui had a little more depth to the sound and preferred the Sansui but the Denon was no slouch.These Denons received very good reviews on Audioreview.One thing about these Denons is you need the remote.There's a lot you can't without it,including tuning the FM.

Good review M Jarve. I have a Denon AVR 3801 in my living room 5.1 system. I agree with most of the opinions here as well. I did all my serious 2CH listening on it for a number of years. It opens up my NHT's SuperTwos nicely, but really loud listening, gets fatiguing in short order. That's OK because I have tinnitus in one ear as it is and don't really need to listen to super loud music anyway. The phono section suits my Ortofon MC3 Turbo well and if any thing leans a bit toward the bright side which coaxes plenty of detail out of those 2 ways. For a really detailed acoustic music my B&O 4 way speakers in the other room smoke the living room system anyway.

Back
Top Bottom