Denon AVR-X1400H or Onkyo TX-NR747

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by DangerBoy, Jul 8, 2018.

1. DangerBoy

DangerBoy Active Member

I'm looking at potentially purchasing a new to me second hand AVR for my system. I want to get something that is Dolby Atmos and THX-X capable so I can take advantage of those technologies in the future but probably won't use them right now. For now, I'll just be using a standard 5.1 setup. I've been using an Onkyo TX-NR809.

I can get either a second hand Denon AVR X1400H or an Onkyo TX-NR747 for about the same price I haven't been able to find any reviews that directly compares the two. Both sound like pretty good units. Which one would you recommend and why?

awillia6 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Rule of thumb: don't buy into tech unless and until you're ready to deploy it; it changes too quickly so you're just wasting money on fantasy.

You're going 5.1 so buy high-quality 5.1(/7.1) AVR that supports just what you intend to throw at it (i.e. WiFi, networking, remote remote control, webserver setup, etc.).

3. tcdriver

tcdriver AK Subscriber Subscriber

awillia6 makes a very good point. The technology is rapidly changing. You will be buying outdated technology.