Denon Cartridge for Rega RP6

CDinMB

I bought an RP6 and installed a Denon DL110 but after listening for a while am finding it might not be the best match for the tonearm. I am looking for a cart in the 400usd or less range. I was considering the DL103 but was concerned about compliance and tracking force. I also am looking at the DL301 mk 2, which has a higher compliance and should work better with the Rega. I have to admit I am new to matching cartridges to tonearms and finding the best match. I researched some of the cartridge resonance charts and specs for these carts. I am not sure I am drawing the right conclusions and don't want to purchase another mistake. I listen to classic rock, jazz, blues, and classical. I play guitar and enjoy guitar and piano music. Any suggestions on the carts mentioned or alternatives in the price range?

Thanks!
Carmen

Last edited:
I have had a lot of experience of Rega decks and their tonearms. Denon and Audio Technica cartridges are both excellent compliance matches. Apart from the Denon DL-S1 and the Audio Technica Art-1, both of which I have, the best in their range IMO are the DL304 and the AT-OC09, and the latter can be found in its last model at a discounted price. The former is quite difficult to get hold of but worthwhile with a beautifully detailed treble without harshness.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATOC9III.html
This is slightly over budget but the previous model (ii) can sometimes be found for under your budget.

Do you have the 2mm or 4mm spacers under the tonearm? Non-Rega cartridges are generally taller, and need the spacers to get VTA right. The DL-110 might sound better than you are hearing...

I really liked the OC9/II when I had it on my modded RB250. Very good synergy, but this might've had as much to do with the SUT I was using. Very clean and clear, natural, not bass shy at all.

I once had a 103r potted in a wood body on the same deck, and a DL-S1, but didn't really care for either, though I like the Denons on other arms. The mods on the Rega arm raise the EM a few grams, and it proved to be too much for the DL-S1. I'm about to try another 103r on it, this one also potted in wood but also with the SS ruby/CL retip. Should be interesting.

The 103/250 combo is highly regarded in some circles. IME, Denon underrates the compliance by a fair margin, so the popularity of this combo is not too surprising. Again, what the cart is plugged into is important.

I bought an RP6 and installed a Denon DL110 but after listening for a while am finding it might not be the best match for the tonearm. . .
I have no familiarity with the cartridges you are interested in, but I am curious about what you heard that indicates a poor match between the RB303 and the DL110. I have the same arm on an RP3, and my favorite cartridge for it is the M97xE (no spacer).

On the Rega RP6 with no spacer it has a wide sound stage and good definition but sounds scooped. The bass and treble are pronounced while the mids are soft and fade into the background. As a guitar player I listen for chord changes and subtle solos in the mix. All I hear is drums, voices, brass and symbols. Today I installed an adjustable spacer set at 4mm and the sound flattened but also thinned significantly. The highs and lows were no longer pronounced but the sound stage collapsed and the detail reduced.

I also bought a Thorens 125 m2/3009 m2 today with free M44-7 and after screwing around with the Rega, even the Thorens with a cheap cart sounded better than the Rega! Sound stage is about the same but there is more bass. Lol! I am sure this can get better, but I ordered a DL301m2 for the Thorens, so the bar will be raised.

I will try 2mm spacing tomorrow.

Rega turntables and arms are designed to be level with Rega cartridges (14.5 mm). I think the Denon is 17.6mm from stylus tip to the top of the cartridge. (Check your documentation). A 3mm spacer would make the tonearm level, 2 mm would be just a hair down at the tail, which may bring some of the bass back.

Have you tried working with speaker placement? For me, getting bass, vocals and treble balanced is mostly about getting speakers at the right distance from the back wall. Fine tuning of the arm and cartridge follows.

On the Rega RP6 with no spacer it has a wide sound stage and good definition but sounds scooped. The bass and treble are pronounced while the mids are soft and fade into the background. . .
Thanks for the detailed explanation. It will be interesting to hear how your 2mm spacer works out, and any other combinations you might try, such as the M44-7 on the RP6.

There was an1mm metal spacer in the unit which I removed when I added the adjustable ring so I can affect a 2 or a by adding this ring back in, a 3 mm height test. Should be interesting.

I've used M44s before many years ago, and it doesn't have the detail I would expect from the Rega. Might warm it up, but I am coming to the conclusion I may end of with two TT and setups, an old school sound and a new school. My wife really loved classical piano concertos on the 125, so I may try to improve that without losing what she is hearing that she likes there. Who knows, it's a process.

Sometimes I think my ears are like old leaking tube amp filter caps and are in need of replacement. Can't do that so I tune for what I can hear. I appreciate the suggestions on what to try!

Carmen

Went to the 2mm setting, bass was back and soundstage opened up but added distortion. Very noticeable on female voices (Joni Mitchell, Stevie Nicks) which should be crystal clear, had fuzzy out of phase sound. I thought I damaged the cart and was ready to give up until a new cart arrived, it was that bad. Thought nothing to lose, put the 1mm metal ring for a total of 3mm as suggested but dcmfan and that corrected it. The bass is less boomy and pronounced and whole range is more balanced and the soundstage covers the room beyond the speakers. Pulling the speakers into the room adds bass which I don't need.

There is a huge difference between the M44 and DL110 on their respective platforms. The DL has a huge soundstage and is fast and articulate but I am not always happy with the decay of some notes making me feel it's a bit CDish. Could this be the low compliance suspension of DL110? I admit to not fully understanding the scientific translation of design tradeoffs to sound reproduction in carts. The trade off with the M44 is a lush organic sound, nice long decays but small soundstage, too bass heavy and lack of treble. I still would love to find a better compromise between the two, keeping the soundstage, range and articulation of the Rega/DL110 with the warmth of the Thorens/SME/M44. So now I have two ends to work towards each other. Could be fun.

The pre I have probably plays into this as well. I intend to add a tube pre which should warm up the system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom