Denon CDP doesn't read discs

Andyman

Scroungus Stereophilus
Subscriber
Help me out guys.

I picked up a Denon CDP-1500II a few weeks back on Ebay and have to admit it sounds great! I was one of those "it's all digital, what difference can it make guys", but from the first disc, I could hear quite a difference.

At any rate, there's some rain on my parade. It does have two issues. The first is that it has a tendency to skip on some discs, especially towards the end like tracks 16 or so. I did pull the case and didn't notice any wild wobbling going on. It was occasional at first, but as I began playing discs it got worse. I did clean the laser and oil the metal rails (it was opening sluggishly too) , but perhaps it needs a bit more attention.

The second issue is the more unique one. Some discs, 3 or 4 so far, don't play. They don't read and the display reports all 0s. Now some made a scratching, grinding noise while spinning, so I thought it must be a physical issue. I decided to try something; burn a copy and see what happens??

Well sure enough, the copies of the discs that wouldn't read start right up. One was a brand new CD only played once in the garage yesterday. Today I go to check it out on the "good" CD and zero, nada, zippo. Burn a copy and I'm in business!

So anything like this happen to any of you? I'm not up enough on CDs to figure out what the issue is, but is seems to be related to the actual physical disc, and not what's burned onto it?

Let me know any and all ideas. I really like the sound, but after reading all the gushing over the Toshiba 3950/3960s I may just decide to punt the repair and go that route.

If I understood you right, it has a hard time reading a manufactured disc and more often than not, is able to read a burned CDR. My guess is the CDR is more reflective and easier for the laser to read and also that the laser has become "weak".

That could well be. I found out after I bought it that these did have laser issues. And transport issues too.

The no reads are the ones that bother me, as the discs it won't read are in good shape. Older discs it reads fine, but a brand new once played disc doesn't even get recognized??

Actually, I've checked the orientation of the disc in the tray and it looks like it hasn't moved. That's why I think it had more to do with the actual disc and it's size than what's encoded.

Interesting, yes???

Usually playability issues have to do with the laser output power. If you have an oscilloscope you can check the rf signal from the laser. If not, there is one other thing you can try. Sometimes the bearing on the CD spindle motor gets dried up and causes playability problems. Put a couple of drops of 3 in 1 oil on the base of the motor shaft, right at the bearing. Be careful not to get any on the laser!
If that doesn't work, the pickup will probably have to be replaced.

Thanks for the tip.

Pickup/laser replacement is out of the question though. Rumor is that they run a couple hundred, which is several times more than what I paid for the deck. I also picked up one of those Toshiba 3960s for $70 and it's already replaced the Denon in my mian system.

I'll probably use the Denon in the garage until it becomes totally unlistenable and then auction it off for parts. Too bad, it really does have quite a nice sound and impressive build, but there's no way I can justify the repair cost.

I have seen this problem many times and in almost all cases the problem has been the belt that drives the pickup head carriage across the disc. Once it stretches, the pickup head will not be in the proper position to read the disc. This would also acount for the problem at the end of discs.

Try replacing the belt and I wager the unit will work fine.

Cheers,
Lee

Lee:

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that this transport uses a sophisticated magnetic drive for the pickup; I don't think there's a belt.

I pulled the case yesterday and watched the pickup read the disc. When I hit the track button the pickup moved, but didn't read the last few, outermost tracks. The pickup does seem to travel all it should; it did engage the bumper at full travel. I did clean the rail (in case it was getting hung up) but no effect.

I'll look again. If all it needs is a belt, that would be sweet, but I don't think I'll be that lucky with it.

It sounds like this transport uses a linear motor to move the pickup. In this case, you have to meticuloulsly clean the rails, with isopropyl alcohol then lubricate them. I find that white lithium grease with Teflon in it works well for this.

Back
Top Bottom