Denon DCD 1700

I would say yes. High quality machine with sound to match. My back-up machine is a 1300 and it is bullet-proof and has a nice sound. Don't know if they are still availalbe, but there used to be many up-grade mods for this series of CDPs.

Balthazarr said:
I can pick one of these up for $100 plus shipping.
Worth it?
Comes with manual and remote.

I'd say if it's been lightly used and in excellent cosmetic condition, go for it.
I picked up a DCD 800 a while back for $10 and it is a nice piece. Not nearly as nice as your 1700. Mine has variable output rca's in addition to the regular ones. Does anybody know what the variable outputs are for? Does the volume control on the remote have anything to do with it?

Last edited:
Well I decided to hook my DCD 800 up for old time sakes. Half way through the CD it started skipping and stopped playing all together. Don't remember it ever doing that before. I googled it and it seems like a common problem with the lower end of this series. I wonder if the 1500-1700 has these same problems?

Variable outputs allow you to connect directly to an amp, bypassing the preamp. Can use the variable outputs for volume control via the remote.

BTW, my 1300 is a nice unit and has never suffered skipping problems.

OK Yamaha, thats what I was thinking it was for cause the remote had the volume control. Duh. I'm gonna clean up my CDP's lens and see if that is the cause. It reads OK, plays the first song or 2 OK but then starts to skip foward then stops. I'm happy with the sound quality so I'll give it some time in the operating room.

The 1300's are great looking players. Balthazarr should deffinately get that 1700.

He sold it to someone else a few weeks ago bc he didn't get my follow-up email.
Thanks for the encouragement in any case.

Oh well, I'm happy with the Naks MB-1 and MB-3 I picked up.
Really wanted to do a comparison though then dump that which I didn't want to keep.

I did find that those other two cdp's are cable sensitive. MIT terminator's ( they have the digital blocks on the preamp end) cause breakup, but Monster and some cheap RatShack work fine. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom