Denon DCM-370 CD Changer Problem

Uncle Choppy

Greetings. I wonder if you could help sort out a problem I am having with my Denon DCM-370 CD changer? It has a scratchy left channel, most noticeable in vocals and midrange stringed instruments. I tried the changer with three different amps and three different sets of speakers, and the scratchiness was audible in all three systems. The repair shop technician says he could not hear the scratchiness. However, he says that the player needs a spindle motor assembly and what he calls a "Process 401 IC chip". He also says that the player was made by Pioneer and that a Pioneer "field tech rep" confirmed the diagnosis. He wants over $200 for parts and labor. I never heard of the chip he mentioned, and he really could not explain its function to me other than to say that it is a signal processor and can overheat. He spoke as if there were only one of these mysterious things in the player. I know I could pick up a replacement changer on Ebay for little money, but I just hate the thought of dumping yet another piece of dead electronica into the landfill or waiting for the next recycling drive. I'm all for fixing stuff as long as parts are available. Any insight would be appreciated. Best wishes. -uc

Back
Top Bottom