Denon DCM-555II Starts Skipping Partway through Discs

Discussion in 'DIY' started by mikerm, Jul 2, 2018.

1. petehall347

petehall347 the brandy coffee man Subscriber

shouldn't be too hard to find or make new felt pads .
    are the discs getting marked whilst playing ? was wondering where the rubbing noise might be coming from .
    is the rubbing a constant noise

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mikerm

mikerm AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think I might have forgotten to place a spring back in its original position, ugh! Going to rip it apart one more time. The rubbing is constant but there doesn't appear to be any marks on the discs even after letting one play all the way through.

3. petehall347

any chance of a recording to listen to it ?

4. mikerm

Well I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is I can't get a recording of it, but the good news is that it seems to be fixed! I reset a small spring clip on the bottom of the mechanism (it was holding a plastic flap / part of the bottom spindle mount in place) and it's nice and silent once again! So far no more grease blobs on the discs now that the felt pads have been excised. Fingers crossed that the skipping is gone for good. This CD player sounds amazingly good for being a 6 disc changer (at least to my ears). Has dual PCM56 DAC chips inside which might be part of the reason.

5. mikerm

I spoke too soon. Still skipping, but much less than before & still no grease blobs on the discs. Previously it would start skipping and skip non-stop. Now it will occasionally just skip like someone bumped it. Also still only on later tracks. For example I was listening to a CD just now & tracks 1-5 were fine, it skipped a couple of times on track 6 and more often on track 7. No scratches or marks at all on the CD & it wasn't very loud, so vibrations from bass were not a factor.

There does appear to be a small belt which moves the laser head. I wonder if it would be worth replacing & see if that helps?

6. petehall347

worth a try . sounds like sticky rails though .

Please register to disable this ad.

7. mroboto

mroboto Super Member

Do the lithium grease is spreaded on the rail to where the optical bloc is supposed to slide at the end of the disc ?

When I apply grease, I insert a disk and skip back and forth from the first to last track a few times.

8. mikerm

Dismantled the mechanism again and found another spring out of place. One arm of the spring was sticking out and touching the rail once the head moved to a specific position. I pulled it apart and reset this spring. This is one I never touched originally, so it must have been like this from the beginning. Testing again, fingers are crossed again!

redk9258 and petehall347 like this.
  9. mikerm

Well I managed to listen to multiple CDs from beginning to end without any skipping, so hopefully it’s now fixed!

Thank you everyone for the ideas and feedback. You guys kept saying rails which led me back to checking them thoroughly one more time and finding this spring, so thank you all!!

10. petehall347

well done :thumbsup: