Denon DL-103 vs DL-103R: what are the sonic differences?

monkboughtlunch

Has anyone done a sonic comparison of the Denon DL-103 vs DL-103R moving coil cartridges? If so, how would you describe the sonics of each?

The 103R is more refined than the std. 103 but not shrill. I have used both on different arms and tables and neither have been shrill. Both carts are low compliance and need a heavier arm. If arm and cart. are incompatible I could see how someone could call them shrill. The 103R/103's need at least 100 hour breakin time. I have heard that some like the std. 103 better. I am not one of them. I play different kinds of music and the 103R sounds better with these kinds of music to me.

I've only used the Plain Vanilla DL-103 but it's an incredible cartridge for the money. You simply can't come close to the performance for the money. I doubt I will ever try the 103R because I'm so satisfied with the 103.

While we're at it, does anyone want to add what they use for amplification whether an MC phono stage or an SUT?
I use an mc phono stage..Musical Fidelity M1Vinl..it's very clean and very quiet..I wish it had 5db more gain though. I also use the mc input on my Threshold preamp..very nice stage and pretty much enough gain but not as quiet as the M1. I have also used a Pro-ject tube phono box..the original, it is not the quietest but it does have an very nice sound. I just hooked it up after it sitting on the shelf for a year and was surprised how nice it sounded and the 18hz subsonic filter was just the ticket to get rid of some woofer pumping I get with the old SystemdekIII, for now the phono box is in:thmbsp:

why do you prefer the 103 over the 103R?

Hard to say for certain.Lots of things come into play.For the step up I have and using a Sony PUA-7 tonearm (20 Grams) it's a amazing matchup.The DL-103R was fine but maybe to much higher treble or detail for my liking.But who knows what would happen with a different step up and arm?Anyway, they are both great and both provide large bang for the $$$

I'm using a Zu Denon DL-103 into an Auditorium 23 SUT and then into the MM input on my Shindo Aurieges. It only has about 20 hours on it so far, but it's already quite impressive.

Here is a detailed comparison:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ranlg&1034089946

I have a re-tipped 103R with a replaced carbon fiber body and re-tipped 103C1 with the stock ceramic body. They are mounted on different turntables, and I use a Avid Pulsus preamp without the need for a SUT.

I have never heard a stock 103R. Both of my modified Denon cartridges are excellent sounding with fantastic performance for their costs.

Stock vs stock the 103R is a significant upgrade to the plain 103. Deeper bass, better treble, just more articulate all around. There is a lot to like with the 103, especially when it's in an aluminum or wood body.

jeff

Many years ago I used to have both stock 103 & 103r and to me I like the 103r better. However, I sold them both and kept using the AT-OC9MkII until I changed to AT-33ev a few years ago.

Early this year, my friend told me about aluminum body of 103/103r and I ordered both (stock cantilever and tip) and also a Soundsmith Ruby cantilever with Line Contact stylus 103r in an aluminum body as well.

Ever since I have these cartridges, they have been on my 2 turntables and I really like them.

If 5 is the best:

Paradox Pulse Mark II (aluminum headshell) with SS Ruby - 6
Paradox Pulse (aluminum headshell) 103r - 5
Paradox Pulse (aluminum headshell) 103 - 4.5

Example sound from PP103r. :music:

http://71.93.113.35:8080/musicstation/share.php?pl_id=67

I've been using the 103 for years. My combination now is a Thorens TD-124, Jelco 750E, Auditorium 23 step up and a Audible Illusions M3A.

My DL-103R is being used with a Hypnotoad LOMC AD797 phono stage (via Audiomods Series V arm on a Nottingham Analogue Interspace heavy-platter turntable). Loading is 100 ohms. Sounds amazing.

-D

While we're at it, does anyone want to add what they use for amplification whether an MC phono stage or an SUT?

I have a 103R on a Sansui SR-4050c going to a Denon AU-320 SUT connected to the MM input of my BillD modded Carver C-1. I originally had the 103R connected to the MC connection of the C-1 but the noise floor was greater, more hiss. The more I play this combo the more I like it. I only have about 75 hours on the 103r so it's only going to get better. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
150/200 CineMag 3440/Hagerman Picollo for the 103.

Below 100 ohms for the 103R, don't know the precise value using Sowter 7136's.

jeff
Im at 220 with the pro-ject..sounds about right to me.
I have a Cinemag 3440-a..it's set up for a Dyna cart..I think it toggles between 208 and 52, that just might work for my 103...tried it with a linn cart but seemed a bit noisy. Worth a revisit maybe, I would use my JJ Curcio MM tube pre for this..I think it might of been called the Daniel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom