Denon DL-160.... for those that have tossed them away in a drawer

AudioJag

Hey all owners of the beautiful Denon DL-160 cartridges that you probably tossed in a drawer when you wore them out and couldn't replace them (and btw: the DL 110 doesn't compare imho)

I just received my DL-160 from a retipping by Soundsmith, and I almost can't believe how great it sounds.
I ordered it to be upgraded with the sapphire cantilever and contact line stylus. I put the cartridge on an SME Series 3 arm which I have on a Thorens TD124, and did all the adjustments required down to a "knats a....".

Then I put on some of my favorite testing type records..... and usually that tends to be the QualityRecordPressing Nora Jones "Come Away With Me"........ and several others.... all I can say to you is....Wow!

The soundstage and detail are incredible..... and that's without the loss of the original characteristics of the Denon DL-160 sound.

Take them out of the drawer and bring them back to life....... you won't regret it....... ;-)

Thank you! I've been thinking that I'll miss mine when the time comes. I think Denon is making a mistake discarding the small-diamond carts; they are probably harder to assemble.

Did SS use the same size stylus? Mind giving a rough cost and time for the work?

Thank you! I've been thinking that I'll miss mine when the time comes. I think Denon is making a mistake discarding the small-diamond carts; they are probably harder to assemble.

Did SS use the same size stylus? Mind giving a rough cost and time for the work?

Good news, you can still get the Denon DL-301 MKII with the same tip (0.07 x 0.14) as the Denon DL-160.

Lots of member went on a buying spree when Denon announced the end of the production for the DL-160.

There should be some spares around. :idea:

cdk99.... The Denon 160 had an eliptical stylus originally. Since I have been using a contact line stylus on the SS Boheme for over a year.... I determined easily that I want the Denon to have that upgrade. The cost was $300 + shipping for the Sapphire Cantilever and contact line stylus. All of this info is available in detail on their website sound-smith.com. You may want to research contact line type styluses before you make up your mind.... There is a difference!

I think I bought a spare, speculation piece from the end of the Comet era. Have thought about the 301 more than once.

Thanks, AudioJag, I'm guessing more detail without losing that wide stage?

To clarify about the stylus size a bit, for some reason my 160 has worked well with well-used records. Still have some spots, but in general there's been some grace shed, which is helpful as I digitise them.

I think I bought a spare, speculation piece from the end of the Comet era. Have thought about the 301 more than once.

Thanks, AudioJag, I'm guessing more detail without losing that wide stage?

I forgot to mention that the channel separation was also terrific......

Soundsmith DL-160 re-tip update: I have been using the re-tipped homc DL-160 on my Thorens TD124 w/SME Series 3 arm, almost everyday for a little over a month now......
And I can report that the sound quality is still amazing me with every record that I've played and with any music type.

I almost wonder if I should have gone for the "best" possible upgrade, and what that would have been like........... !?

Probably best not to go for the best possible upgrade. I did that recently putting a boron cantilever and Fritz Geiger Special tip on a Phillips GP922 (0.12mv output, 30db separation, 10Hz-60kHz) LOMC cart and it's become ruthlessly revealing to the point that I can hear the digital compression and a few minor mic issues on Norah Jones Come Away with Me album. More isn't always better as this is one of my favourite albums. Then again with Eric Clapton Unplugged I'm hearing detail I never even knew existed.

On the other hand a Grace F8L with Jico NeoSAS/S is almost as transparent and revealing though with a more forgiving nature and my Koetsu Rosewood can make damn near anything sound good though it's quite a coloured cart

Soundsmith DL-160 re-tip update: I have been using the re-tipped homc DL-160 on my Thorens TD124 w/SME Series 3 arm, almost everyday for a little over a month now......
And I can report that the sound quality is still amazing me with every record that I've played and with any music type.

I almost wonder if I should have gone for the "best" possible upgrade, and what that would have been like........... !?

Old thread, but perfect thread to piggy back on!

I love the DL-160 so much that I bought another one (basically NIB from what I can gather). Going to run one stock as a rock on one table, and for the other one I'm getting a Boron + Microridge upgrade.

Can you go into detail about what I should expect, difference wise?

I would define the DL-160 as "rounded bottom", "punchy", "spatial", "airy", "transparent". I assume those charactoristics will remain, but I'll simply just have even more transparency? Will the highs grow?

I like the DL-160 so much in my system that I kicked the MP-200 to the curb. It was veiling my system.

I noticed today that the DL-160 tip spec is pretty large and was pretty surprised that it sounded as detailed as it did: 0.07 x 0.14mm special elliptical solid diamond.

I'm used to seeing .02, .03 for elypticals.

As a dealer the DL160 back in the day was an absolute honey and not too spendy.
It worked great with most stock MM inputs without losing the spatiality.
DL110 sounded muddled by comparison.
I can't figure why Denon dont resurrect it.

Back
Top Bottom