Denon DP 300F Belt Driven Turntable

The Denon DP300f is so good, it got me deeper into the dark side. Last Sat I bought a Rega RP8 with Apheta moving coil cartridge and Avid Pellar phono preamp.

20170828_214127.jpg

Not only is the Denon DP300f so good, it got me really really deep into darkness now. I bought a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP to go with the Rega RP8.

20170925_210936.jpg

First off, really nice rig there Endless. Great to see The Denon send someone down the rabbit hole.

I was very happy to find this thread. I have been away from AK for a while but am starting to get back in and was pleasantly surprised to see this discussion.

Bought my 300 in 2010 new from Dakmart, an authorized reseller of Denon refurb stuff. Here is the original thread from my purchase. Funny to note the prophetic nature of post #9.

As I noted there this is the only new table that I have ever bought, even to this day. It has been through a few different systems since the little mini rig that it was bought for is now gone and it even sat inactive for a while.

Due to my main table (Dual 510) developing problems it is now back in service in the main system and I'm having a great time getting to know it again.

The reason I like this deck is that it has performed well in every system I've put it in. The Denon mini rig was good for what it was, but not 'high end' associated equipment. Still, it sounded great. From there it went into the basement system, which is not 'high end' either, but easily the most detailed rig I have ever owned. In fact I heard resonant frequencies on CD recordings on that rig that I never did before. The Denon really sung through the Yaquin MS-22 tube phone pre, Anthem tube preamp, Yamaha M60 & M4 amps bi-amping recapped Infinity RS II's. Great detail, soundstage and overall presentation.

Now it is running through a Rotel RQ-970BX phone pre, Rotel RSP-1068 pre/pro, Rotel RMB-985mkII amp into B&W 604s3 speakers. It still sounds great. However, I think I'm realizing the absence of detail the Infinity's provided and am thinking about some cart/stylus changes to make up for it.

Still running the Grado ZC +/Green 1 and just ordered a LP Gear improved stock stylus to replace the two that I wrecked on the stock cart. I have a Shure V15 type III and Realistic R1000EDT laying around. Both need new needles but am considering getting them back up and running and trying one or both on the Denon. Anyone ever tried either of these carts on the 300?

Attachments

• Denon.jpg
    Denon.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 25
Still running without a single problem, using a Grado Green cartridge. Good for you Jonesy, sounds like you are really enjoying your self!

I am johnda. Thanks.

The LP gear 'improved' Denon stock stylus came in and I've been running it for about 10 hours. Still not broken in but getting a good recollection of what the old one did. Very good detail but a bit up front on the mids and highs. Perhaps when the suspension settles down it will bring a little more in the lows.

Still very impressed with the resolution of this table/cart and associated gear. I am thinking about getting another head shell and new stylus for the old Realistic R1000EDT for this thing.
OC1.jpg

I have been using vintage TTs for a few years now (after a 30 year absence) and felt it was time for a brand-new one.

After reading a ton of positive reviews, I pulled the trigger on the Denon. I bought it from Amazon and received it just before Christmas. I replaced the stock cart with a Ortofon OM 20 I had removed from my Dual 505.

I spun it up for the first time and...chipmunks. Damn.

After some googling, I found that some of them had left the factory without the speed pots being adjusted. I'm glad I had a strobe wheel laying around.

After installing a strobe app onto my phone and figuring out how deep to push the screw driver into the guts of the plinth, I finally got the speed set. I wasn't too happy at Denon's QA department though. I came close to returning it just on principal.

After some reflection, I decided to keep it. It does have really good sound and it compliments my audio rack nicely. Hopefully it will last a few years or more.

Attachments

• Denon.jpg
    Denon.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 30
Is the stock Denon DNS-85 stylus close to any of the available AT replacement styli? Is this Denon branded cart actually a AT3600 or close to it? I am aware of the LP Gear eliptical upgrade stylus. Is this the only upgrade path or are there other ways to go?

Is the stock Denon DNS-85 stylus close to any of the available AT replacement styli? Is this Denon branded cart actually a AT3600 or close to it? I am aware of the LP Gear eliptical upgrade stylus. Is this the only upgrade path or are there other ways to go?
I have only a guess to make on whether the stock cartridge is an AT3600 variant, but it sure seems to be. I like the stock stylus except for its, in my thinking, overly high price, and I have to say I don't care for the LP Gear elliptical due to its being a fairly small tip (.3 X .7 mil) designed to track at 2.5 grams; my preference is for a conical at that tracking force.

The way I went was to listen to other cartridge choices, finding the Sumiko Black Pearl to be my favorite in the context of my system, and with a replacement stylus cost lower than the Denon original.

I have been using vintage TTs for a few years now (after a 30 year absence) and felt it was time for a brand-new one.

After reading a ton of positive reviews, I pulled the trigger on the Denon. I bought it from Amazon and received it just before Christmas. I replaced the stock cart with a Ortofon OM 20 I had removed from my Dual 505.

I spun it up for the first time and...chipmunks. Damn.

After some googling, I found that some of them had left the factory without the speed pots being adjusted. I'm glad I had a strobe wheel laying around.

After installing a strobe app onto my phone and figuring out how deep to push the screw driver into the guts of the plinth, I finally got the speed set. I wasn't too happy at Denon's QA department though. I came close to returning it just on principal.

After some reflection, I decided to keep it. It does have really good sound and it compliments my audio rack nicely. Hopefully it will last a few years or more.

I had to adjust the speed on mine as well after we moved as it was going about 1-2 revolutions too fast at 33/12 and 5 too fast at 45. Luckily not that hard to adjust with just turning the screws underneath

I just installed an Ortofon 2M Blue. Gonna audition it tonight.
I had to adjust the speed on mine as well after we moved as it was going about 1-2 revolutions too fast at 33/12 and 5 too fast at 45. Luckily not that hard to adjust with just turning the screws underneath

Yep, adjusted the speed on mine last weekend. It was running too fast.

How are your impressions of the 2m blue? I've got one ready to go in, I just need to find the time to install it.

Out of the box, I thought it sounded great. Apparently the sound is only going to get better once it breaks in. I have a tube pre and tube main powering my speakers.

I really took my time to ensure it was properly set up but found it was not overly difficult. The alignment is actually easy with the Denon head shell.

To get the 47mm overhang, you just need to push the 2m to the front until the flat part (nose) of the cart is flush with the leading edge of the head shell. Parallel alignment is easy too because the cart is so fat. I weighed the VTF with a digital scale and it was bang-on at 1.6 g.

As a side note, I packed up the DP-300F today and it's going back to Amazon after all. I was able to score my "holy grail" TT off of eBay this morning. Once it arrives, the blue will go on it.

Last edited:
Out of the box, I thought it sounded great. Apparently the sound is only going to get better once it breaks in. I have a tube pre and tube main powering my speakers.

I really took my time to ensure it was properly set up but found it was not overly difficult. The alignment is actually easy with the Denon head shell.

To get the 47mm overhang, you just need to push the 2m to the front until the flat part (nose) of the cart is flush with the leading edge of the head shell. Parallel alignment is easy too because the cart is so fat. I weighed the VTF with a digital scale and it was bang-on at 1.6 g.

As a side note, I packed up the DP-300F today and it's going back to Amazon after all. I was able to score my "holy grail" TT off of eBay this morning. Once it arrives, the blue will go on it.

Thanks for the info. Post some pics of the grail TT when you get it.

s-l1600.jpg

Here is a shot from the eBay ad. It's a Denon DP-47F. While not overly rare, this one has been fully serviced and recapped. I love the servo tone arms on these tables.

I'm going to reply to my own query. The cart supplied with the Denon DP-300F is most certainly an OEM Audio-Technica 3600. I bought an inexpensive Pfanstiel 4211-DE elliptical stylus for mine to replace the stock DSN-85. This stylus fits the cart perfectly, it goes right on, and it sounds great, certainly an upgrade to the stock cart for a bargain price. It is green as you can see from this pic. You do lose the stylus guard of the original stylus but I'm willing to pay that price for better sound!upload_2018-1-26_11-43-38.png

I'm going to reply to my own query. The cart supplied with the Denon DP-300F is most certainly an OEM Audio-Technica 3600. I bought an inexpensive Pfanstiel 4211-DE elliptical stylus for mine to replace the stock DSN-85. This stylus fits the cart perfectly, it goes right on, and it sounds great, certainly an upgrade to the stock cart for a bargain price. It is green as you can see from this pic. You do lose the stylus guard of the original stylus but I'm willing to pay that price for better sound!View attachment 1098160

As it has broken in, the Pfanstiel 4211-DE elliptical stylus sounds even better. I do recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom