Denon DP 300F Belt Driven Turntable

Just spun my first 2 sides (Ahmad Jamal's Alhambra) after unboxing the the DP300f from TTL with the Ortofon Red upgrade. Went with the stock mat, just b/c I don't like the look fo the cork and like the additional mass it provides.

TTL had them on sale $100 off, so essentially you pay retail and get the cartridge upgrade installed and aligned.

This makes 3 turntables I have in operation -- the other two are vintage -- Rotel belt drive manual (RP-850) with a Mx97e and a Hitachi HT-461 DD automatic with a Nagaoka MP-110. Yes, I have a problem.

The buttons are a little clunky. It's plastic. It's not as smooth in automatic operation as the IC and servo motor controlled Hitachi. But the Hitachi could give up the ghost any day with no chance of repairing those IC's and motors.

Good news is that it sounds great. It is dead silent, no bearing rumble or motor noise. No speed variation in extended piano notes. No inner groove distortion, but haven't given it the test record torture test yet. Even without break in I am hearing extended lows and sparkling highs. In short I would put it up against either of my vintage machines, which cost $100's more even in 1980's dollars.

I think it looks very nice in a sleek minimalist way even with the dust cover on it. And setup was easy. I can't imagine a better bargain for a mid-fi setup. And being fully automatic it's almost perfect for a dinner/cocktail parties ... the Hitachi has the slight edge there with its repeat mode for when the drinks and conversation become the priority. :)

I hope you're still enjoying your Denon DP300f. I am despite having a Rega Rp8. Here it's connected to a Sansui AU-717 and listening through Audeze LCD-3f headphones. Lovely tone.

IMG-2624.JPG
page-1204

Last edited:
My DP300f is still working without any problems! The only bad thing to happen was when the cleaning girl lifted the plinth and the arm swung over and took out my Grado stylus. Ouch! They should have had an arm lock of some kind, but other than that one disaster, everything is great.

Well, here we are... I purchased my Denon DP300f turntable in 2008 and it is now 2019. Right now I am listening to the Brandenburg Concerto in my study. My Yamaha A-S500 amp and Grado Green cartridge are performing without a hitch.

We have thus far spent 11 wonderful years together as I listened to music to make me smile! The turntable is still dead silent between passages, no rumble bothers me, and my original investment was well spent. I am glad to see that it is still available for others. Happy Fall, folks!

Attachments

• E6F19F29-E781-4C6F-BB0F-C455969E8A3F.jpeg
    E6F19F29-E781-4C6F-BB0F-C455969E8A3F.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 21
  • A062A4BA-D14B-4AD5-A29D-5A242C473F46.jpeg
    A062A4BA-D14B-4AD5-A29D-5A242C473F46.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 21
Well, here we are... I purchased my Denon DP300f turntable in 2008 and it is now 2019. Right now I am listening to the Brandenburg Concerto in my study. My Yamaha A-S500 amp and Grado Green cartridge are performing without a hitch.

We have thus far spent 11 wonderful years together as I listened to music to make me smile! The turntable is still dead silent between passages, no rumble bothers me, and my original investment was well spent. I am glad to see that it is still available for others. Happy Fall, folks!

Still running mine as well. Dead silent and sounds great with Ortofon Blue.

I'm guilty of packing my Denon DP300f up and keeping it in the storeroom. Rega RP8 is my main turntable now. Perhaps I need to use the DP300f with a better cartridge in my headphone system.

I'm guilty of packing my Denon DP300f up and keeping it in the storeroom. Rega RP8 is my main turntable now. Perhaps I need to use the DP300f with a better cartridge in my headphone system.

I've got a Ortofon Blue on mine and it's quite nice. It's running through the phono on my Parasound 2100 classic preamp. It all works well for me.

I've got a Ortofon Blue on mine and it's quite nice. It's running through the phono on my Parasound 2100 classic preamp. It all works well for me.

Thanks I'll give the Ortofon a try. Maybe even a black. I have an Avid Pellar phono preamp which I use with the RP8.

Anyone still using their DP300F? I just pull it out of storage today because I've been using Rega RP8. Here I feed DP300F into Elekit TU-8200 powering a cheap pair of Boston Acoustics VR-2 and it sound incredible. I need to use my Denon DP300F in my other accommodation.

IMG_1813.jpg

Anyone still using their DP300F? I just pull it out of storage today because I've been using Rega RP8. Here I feed DP300F into Elekit TU-8200 powering a cheap pair of Boston Acoustics VR-2 and it sound incredible. I need to use my Denon DP300F in my other accommodation.

View attachment 2120098

Yep. I run it almost daily. AT VM540 cart into my schii mani. It works great.

I am using mine with a Shure M95 cart and a Kyowa stylus through a FX Audio preamp. It sounds good to me.

Great to hear you guys are still loving the DP300F. I will look at changing the standard cartridge very soon. Not sure what to go for. I have TU-8500 mm/mc phono stage as well as Avid Pellar so I'm not limited to mm. I love details as heard on my Apheta cartridge on RP8 but one with good tight bass would interest me too.

Which would you choose for your Denon DP300f if price isn't a consideration?

Denon DL-103 Moving Coil Cartridge

Audio Technica AT440MLa Cartridge

Ortofon 2M Blue Moving Magnet Cartridge

Which would you choose for your Denon DP300f if price isn't a consideration?

Denon DL-103 Moving Coil Cartridge

Audio Technica AT440MLa Cartridge

Ortofon 2M Blue Moving Magnet Cartridge

Denon DL-103 is not appropriate for this outsourced Denon arm. Not high enough mass. Also, I'd stick to a AT 120 E/T in this arm or it's modern AT-VM 540 EN. Those are as far as I'd take it.

Denon DL-103 is not appropriate for this outsourced Denon arm. Not high enough mass. Also, I'd stick to a AT 120 E/T in this arm or it's modern AT-VM 540 EN. Those are as far as I'd take it.

I took it to Sydney HiFi shop and there were a lot of choices of varying prices. Finally I settle on the 2M Blue which I had the shop installed for me. I wanted it professionally done. When I got it home I play 'Love Over Gold' by Dire Straits for the first time with 2M Blue, I was shocked by how good this turntable sound now. I was tempted with the Bronze but I think this Blue is good enough for me. As much as I enjoy the Rega Rp8 with Apheta, I find I can love this too because it sound superb. $300 bucks including installation I would gladly spend.

IMG_1818.jpg

Back
Top Bottom