Denon DP60L Tonearm rewire

Audiobro

I am looking for insight on this project. Suggestions on wire (gauge, brand, and material), connectors, and procedure are greatly appreciated. I have already recapped and replaced the interconnects. Looking to put the finishing touches on a complete "rehab". Also looking to hear any input on tonearm and motor bearing service that could or should be performed. My goal is to have this TT sound it's best (within reason) for another 30+ years.

Attempting to do some exploratory surgery and ran into these on the straight tonearm. At first glance they look like regular slotted screws, but there is a recessed point in the middle, as though it's for a slotted screwdriver with a point in the middle of the blade. I was able to get them to turn a bit (extremely tight), but they don't seem to be lifting from the tube. This got me wondering if they are some other type of fastener. Anyone take one of these apart?

Attachments

• DSCN5153.JPG
    DSCN5153.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 12
Thinking of replacing the PCB that the tonearm wires soldered to, with a five pin DIN connector. This will give me the flexibility to change the interconnects quite easily. Also, I won't have to hack off the DIN connector from the new cable to solder to the board.

Anyone familiar with this connector? I was able to separate it from the tube, but that doesn't allow me access to the solder joints. Been prying up around the edge of the clear plastic, gently so far, and it won't budge. I fear that if I apply more pressure, it may break. Beginning to think that this assembly wasn't meant to be disassembled and might be glued or have a one time snap together fastener. I do still have one trick up my sleeve and that is to drill it out. I do not have the S arm and have no intention of acquiring one. But, this would also require me to do the same to the gimbal and I haven't checked into that just yet. That will be my next step is to examine the gimbal to see if it can come apart to allow access to solder joints.

Attachments

• DSCN5156[1].JPG
    DSCN5156[1].JPG
    123 KB · Views: 7
It's not looking good for a rewire while maintaining the original design. As best as I can tell, these connectors weren't meant to be serviced. So, it looks like the only way a rewire is possible, is to drill out the tube connector and eliminate it. The minus will be that swapping for the S-arm will no longer be possible, the plus will be that I will be eliminating a connection in the signal path. In my searching of Google and several other audio sites, I have not found any info on rewiring this tonearm. I guess this makes me the pioneer on Denon DP60L tonearm rewiring.

Back
Top Bottom