Denon DP80

Pigz know stuff. :beatnik:

Edit: But it really was folks at AK, like @JP who wrote about this stuff enough to tempt me to buy an SP10, in order to see what was possible. Without AK I might not have taken this path of exploration.

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
Pigz know stuff. :beatnik:

Regards
Mister Pig
Yes you do my Friend. You really do. You are a pig that stands on its hind legs and can do the boo-ga-loo. My one ding against you is that you sold boxer to the glue factory.. I didn't like that so much!

Seriously though. Good recommendation! I trust your posts more than any HiFi magazine.

If you're wondering just how big these units are.. here's the DP75 vs Denon DP51fView attachment 1134686

I find it interesting that your DP 75 sits almost as tall as the dustcover on your other Denon table. They are built to a completely different level. Looking at that tone arm on the DP51 or whatever it is, the Audiomods or M2-9 is also built to a different level. You will be entering a new realm of analog playback when this table is done.

It looks like you got a very nice DP 75 at a reasonable price.

Regards
Mister Pig

My AudioMods + DP combination is divine. Only quibble is I do miss having an arm lift, simply cant see how to fit one. Problem is the lip of the drive extends out so far. Hoping someone could direct me to a solution.

Last edited:
I do miss having an arm lift, simply cant see how to fit one. Problem is the lip of the drive extends out so far.
In the old days, many arms didn't have lifts. After-market accessories were available, and still are on ebay. Some examples...

images-1.jpeg images.jpeg images-2.jpeg

Not ideal — but they can be mounted far enough away to clear the wide lip of the drive. They can mount on your removable armboard, so they won't mar the plinth. I used the Colton (pic 3) ages ago and it worked fine. They don't just lift at the record's end, but also lower it gently to start play.

I'm surprised the Audiomods arm lacks this facility — I thought evey contemporary arm has it.

In the old days, many arms didn't have lifts. After-market accessories were available, and still are on ebay. Some examples...

View attachment 1135071 View attachment 1135072 View attachment 1135073

Not ideal — but they can be mounted far enough away to clear the wide lip of the drive. They can mount on your removable armboard, so they won't mar the plinth. I used the Colton (pic 3) ages ago and it worked fine. They don't just lift at the record's end, but also lower it gently to start play.

I'm surprised the Audiomods arm lacks this facility — I thought evey contemporary arm has it.
I am pretty sure the sort of lift mentioned was an end-of-side auto-lift arrangement, actually. The Audiomods does have the standard sort of cue.

Appreciated, irregardless. Was referring to an end of side lift. Perhaps a 12" arm is the only solution, except not happening anytime soon. Financial realities intercede.

Oh....:( ... and all I had to do was find an Audiomods pic to make sure.

But who has time to be "right" these days? In fact, I only posted "alternative facts"...
I think there are still a few new arms without cuing, just the Audiomods isn't one of them.

Some great Denon TTs shown. Have given me some great ideas on what I want. Thx.
So, just sent my DP-80 off for a new black walnut plinth. Will be using an HRS DPX-09545 damping plate as the armboard with a Jelco SA-750B. Think I'll use a set of ISO-Pucks for the feet. Definitely wanted a TA with the universal headshell so can easily swap cartridges (like tube-rolling).
Edit: How quickly things change. Decided to go a different direction with the TA, so listed it. The Clearaudio TT5 with swing-away base looks like a tasty alternative.

DP-80.1.jpg

Last edited:
In searching for a new TA, there are not all that many in the 12" length. The ones I've found in the sub-$2K ballpark are the SME M2-12R, GrooveMaster II, Ortofon TA-210, Jelco SA-750EB & TK-850L and Abis TA1L. Most are closer to the $2K end than the $1K end of things. The price on used SME 3012 seems to have sky-rocketed since the last time I looked several years ago. By the time one purchases a nice used 3012 they are in the range of the new M2-12R. That Jelco is looking better all the time.

As I researched 12" TAs had the opportunity to speak to Alfred Kayser, who sells & services SME TAs in Canada (google SME tonearms and his website will come up). Alfred told me he has 70+ TT/TA in his personal collection (and I thought my four was silly), including a DP-80. He was kind enough to send along the attached photo of
his, with the polished platter. Beautiful.

On the TA side of things, have decided to use a 9" Stax UA-7 with carbon fiber arm-wand for now. Once everything is running smoothly with the new build will entertain the need for a 12" TA.
Alfred DP80.jpg

Lucky me........... just found a DK100 plinth with a nice dustcover and hinges. Saves a ton of time & cost for a custom job and my plinth builder is happy to refinish for me. Can't beat that. Paid less for it than a new dustcover would have cost.

Last edited:
Lucky me........... just found a DK100 plinth with a nice dustcover and hinges. Saves a ton of time & cost for a custom job and my plinth builder is happy to refinish for me. Can't beat that. Paid less for it than a new dustcover would have cost

Congrats on the DK100 score. These plinths impress with their finish and solid constrained layer construction.

I was finally able to realize my dream of a 12" arm. Following much camping out on the usual marketplace sites waiting for my preference for a TriPlanar or Reed to appear. Happened to be a Reed. I was quick off the line as I've learned through past bitter experience he who hesitates is lost. Sold off the AM5 to help finance the purchase. Glad though to see it went to a good home, a lovely Thorens TD160 showcased here:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/thorens-td160-build.824086/page-2

Here is an updated shot following refinishing the armboard and mounting the new TA:reed 3p.JPG

My DK100 is a bit 'rough', with some chips at the corners. However, the dustover & hinges are nice and will polish out. My "plinth builder" is going to 'refurbish' the DK100. Probably put new veneer on so it looks like new. He tells me that is a whole lot faster/easier (and, significantly, less $$) than building new from scratch. Things will hopefully move right along.

Back
Top Bottom