Denon DP80

Besides the Denon DK factory plinths for the DP-75/80 Lead Console (Japan) mfg plinths that were at least as big and probably heavier. Not to be left out are the early VPI plinths for the two big Denons, again massive/heavy. Makes financial sense to veneer if needed due to wear than build a plinth from scratch. Forget the model number of the professional broadcast semi console for the DP-80 but it's substantial, prior Denon consoles for the DP-6000/7000 were huge, Harry/VPI has one in his showroom. These tables flew under the radar for most people until the recent direct drive turntable revival came along.

Just found some camphor burl that looks good. Somewhat like birdseye maple, but a bit darker. Sapele and bubinga are also nice.

Decided on burled walnut to get it a bit darker. Here is the starting piece. Should be simple enough (says the guy who is not doing the work) to re-veneer.
DK-100 rough2.jpg

Burl pattern should lend a nice rich look. Also helps a lot that you have the better performing carbon fiber version of the UA-7. On your way to something really nice me thinks.

Am quite excited (as much as the average 71yr-old gets) about getting everything installed and operating up-to-spec. Am very tired of the effort required to change carts in the JMW-9 Sig TA. Its a nice piece and I don't mind the uni-pivot at all.............. but, I like rolling cartridges. The universal headshell of the Stax will allow easy cartridge change as well as using various headshells to tailor the sound.

Here's a pic of the Stax UA-7/CF with the cartridges it will be used with (is that a dangling preposition?;)).

Stax & Carts.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely arm. The micro-details of engineering make tonearms, for me, the most fascinating part of an audio system.

Yes, is really a lovely looking TA. Will be interesting to run the Stereophile test LP with the Stax to find the various resonance nodes. The proof will be in the pudding (so say the English).

MX117 I have a feeling you will be very pleased with the period correct Stax ta and ability to change out headshells, also nice choice going with walnut for the plinth. Will the Stax be a drop in fit to the Denon ta board?

Not sure if the Stax will drop into the existing armboard. Have ordered a second, blank armboard made from the most dense wood my wood-working artist has on hand to insure I'll have what is needed. The spindle-to-pivot length on the Stax is 227mm (8.94"), so should be a reasonable fit. He will also veneer the top of the new armboard so is a match to the plinth. Wonder if finding a piece of MDF for the second armboard might be a good choice?

Last edited:
Decided on burled walnut

Depending on what format [raw, paper backed etc] burled veneer can be a challenge and require
softening and special attention to adhesive selection.

If new to veneering I suggest looking at some type of backing option opposed to raw.

Thanks. My 'wood guy' is a pro, so I'll leave all that to him. He tells me that he lives about 25mi from one of the largest veneer mills in NA. Think I'm in good hands. My other plinth and rifle stocks he has done for me (and many others) have turned out great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom