Denon DRM-44HX

Harvey/ Ga

Recently got a Denon DRM-44HX from E-bay....without owners manual.

Most of the controls are self explanitory except the timer switch under the power button and calibrate (??) switch on the main panel. Dunno if it's the right term for the calobrate, but the unit is in the BR and wifemate is asleep <GG>

Appreciate any help given,

Harvey

My Denon DR-M3 has a similar Timer switch on the front - as I dimly recall, Denon made a remote timer (there's a DIN cable outlet on the backpanel where the timer plugs in) whereby the user could either playback or record at a future time. But you need the timer to use this feature.

Need a bit more info on this "calibrate" since I can't seem to find a decent photo of the deck's front panel. Is it a knob or a button? It may be your deck's auto bias/eq feature - my DR-M3 will automatically fine-tune bias and equalization for a blank tape by pushing a button called "computer tuning".

Yes, the DR-M44HX did feature auto-calibration. Put a blank tape into the deck and press the calibrate button and watch what happens.

As Cleve stated, most decks with a timer switch were meant for use with a separate timer component.

I have the same exact deck have not used it in sometime still in the original box but i think it is one of the nicest decks around with the wood side panels.

john

Hi Cleve, dcfly and johnnyaudio...

Many thanks for your replies. The control that I was trying to think of is labelled Auto Tuning, with start and memory/reference buttons below it.
There's also a memory stop button that i can't figure out how it works.

If I could prevale upon you to copy or scan the owners manual, I'd be grateful and be happy to reimburse your costs.

Harvey/ Ga said:
Hi Cleve, dcfly and johnnyaudio...

Many thanks for your replies. The control that I was trying to think of is labelled Auto Tuning, with start and memory/reference buttons below it.
There's also a memory stop button that i can't figure out how it works.

If I could prevale upon you to copy or scan the owners manual, I'd be grateful and be happy to reimburse your costs.

I'm sorry, Harvey, I don't have a manual for my DR-M3 deck. But I can explain how the "Computer Tuning" feature works on my deck - I think it's essentially the same as on your deck..

You put a blank tape in the deck. As the door closes, the deck will automatically set itself to "Normal" "Cr02" or "Metal" depending on the type of tape. That's the "rough" equalization/bias setting. Now, press the 'Computer Tuning' button (in your case, 'auto tuning') The deck then proceeds to record a few seconds of tape, and while doing so, 'fine tunes' bias and equalization for the best performance from that particular brand/forumlation of cassette tape. There's something like 900 different combinations that the computer has to select from, so that you get the best possible match.

I *think* the Memory/Reference buttons on your deck is equivalent to "Memory/Preset" on my deck. This allows you to manually select the reference bias/eq that's built into the deck over the "computer tuned" bias/eq settings from the computer tuning process. You can switch back and forth as you desire.

I also *think* the memory stop feature has something to do with the tape counter - and stopping rewind/fast forward at whatever spot you zero the counter to. I don't have an equivalent on the DR-M3 - that's just my guess based on using other cassette decks.

You might want to keep an eye on Ebay for a DRM44 owners manual - lots of manuals circulate on Ebay - hopefully that's one of them. Hope this helps.

Hi Cleve..

Your description of the auto tuning process seems to be what the deck did when I pressed the button. I don't think that I tried the memory stop in the way that you described..will do so tomorrow. However, it's not important to me..the timer is less so <GG>

Many thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom