Denon DRM-500 Deck and Technics SL-Q200 table

dewdude

High on resolution.
Subscriber
Hey all, just looking for an opinion or two (and some other information) on my analog gear.

I've got a Denon DRM-500 I picked up for $35. Does anyone out there have a current database of tape brands to bias fine adjustments? And I know there are a lot of decks that probably perform better, but where is this one in the scale?

I also have a Technics SL-Q200 turntable. It's a mighty fine table...but I don't like the fact it's got a straight tonearm and probably doest track completely true. I wanna start looking for a replacement table for remastering from vinyl purposes. But I don't want something too too expensive. Any suggestions.

dewdude said:
Hey all, just looking for an opinion or two (and some other information) on my analog gear.

I've got a Denon DRM-500 I picked up for $35. Does anyone out there have a current database of tape brands to bias fine adjustments? And I know there are a lot of decks that probably perform better, but where is this one in the scale?

I also have a Technics SL-Q200 turntable. It's a mighty fine table...but I don't like the fact it's got a straight tonearm and probably doest track completely true. I wanna start looking for a replacement table for remastering from vinyl purposes. But I don't want something too too expensive. Any suggestions.

Regarding the turntable, as long as the cartridge is properly aligned and the tracking force properly set, it will track fine. The shape of the arm doesn't matter. In this case, being a p-mount, the cartridge is automatically aligned and the tracking force preset at the factory (all standardized p-mount carts use the same tracking force) so it should track just fine. Being quartz direct drive the speed is accurate and there are no belts to worry about. The only reason to look for another table is if you're not satisfied with the quality of the sound.

If you want to improve the sound with a better cartridge, Grado has some P-mount cartridges with good specs, for good prices. But, check the turntable hum database thread to make sure you won't have a problem with a Grado. They're known for hum problems on some turntables, mostly direct drive.

Last edited:
correction: grado's are known for hum on technics tables...mostly because of the grounding. i had a grado ONCE.. nice grado...but it produced a HUGE amount of hum. luckly the guy i bought it from did exchange it for about 3 or 4 others before we determined i've got the infamous technics incompatibility and i ditched it for some Audio-Technica cartridges, i've got two....both need styli right now...and considering i can't adjust everything and i absolutely need the maxiumum fidelity..i can't figure out weather to go with the .4x.7, .3x.7 or a shibata (hey, i know i don't need one).

you're wrong about the tracking force...the force IS adjustable. the anti-skate is locked at 1.25 grams..and i've adjusted the TF a bit to try to tweak sound when possible.

oh the whole..it's an ok table, but, honestly, i'm VERY disappointed in the tracking at the inner portion of the table because of the J-tracking of the straight tone arm, a lot of the vinyl i've been doing just completely sound horrid and worn....i also can't change the vertical alignment of the unit..i'm doing a lot of vinyl to DVD-A transfers, i need something that's going to track that groove as accurately as possible..and a straight tonearm just doesn't quite do it inside the record...of course..most liner-tracking units do more damage than good....oh if only i had thousands of bucks for that laser-table :p

dewdude said:
correction: grado's are known for hum on technics tables...mostly because of the grounding. i had a grado ONCE.. nice grado...but it produced a HUGE amount of hum. luckly the guy i bought it from did exchange it for about 3 or 4 others before we determined i've got the infamous technics incompatibility and i ditched it for some Audio-Technica cartridges, i've got two....both need styli right now...and considering i can't adjust everything and i absolutely need the maxiumum fidelity..i can't figure out weather to go with the .4x.7, .3x.7 or a shibata (hey, i know i don't need one).
If you're looking for accurate reproduction, wouldn't a narrower stylus be better? What AT carts do you have?

dewdude said:
you're wrong about the tracking force...the force IS adjustable. the anti-skate is locked at 1.25 grams..and i've adjusted the TF a bit to try to tweak sound when possible.
Below is a picture of the tonearm of the SL-Q200. How is that tracking force adjustable? It even says it was set at the factory. And even if it were adjustable, what would be the logic in having variable tracking force and fixed anti-skate?

Attachments

• SL-Q200 tonearm.jpg
    SL-Q200 tonearm.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 45
hakaplan said:
Below is a picture of the tonearm of the SL-Q200. How is that tracking force adjustable? It even says it was set at the factory. And even if it were adjustable, what would be the logic in having variable tracking force and fixed anti-skate?

See the white line at the back of the "counterweight"? If the picture were more clear, you would be able to see that that white line is pointing to 1.25. The scale is marked from 1 to 1.5 g, and the VTF can be adjusted via a knurled knob on the back of the "counterweight".

I have the the SL-Q300, and it sounds shockingly good with a Shure M111HE and a set of Vibrapods under the feet. This line isn't as flimsy as the later P mount BPC Technics.

yes, thank you...that knob at the back of the tonearm..it does move..you can adjust it. it also say "preciecesly adjusted at factory"...it doesn't actually say it CAN'T be adjusted on the unit. the only thing that i can't get to..is anti-skate adjustment, and i believe that's preset at 1.25, like the TF.

as far as a narrow needle...yes, and no. under good circumstances, a narrower needle will hit in places that other's haven't....each table will track the groove at a different position. cheap tables with conical tips wear the edges, elliptical's ride the center a bit more. it's not all about finding the narrowest thing and sticking it in the groove...there are issues of alignment..espically veritcal alignment...i've heard a lot of hardcore vinylphiles talk about it...and well, my physics professor. so, you really try to get a cart and stylus that's matched to your table. .4x.7 seems to be the safe standard for most higher-quality turntables. i do have a .3x.6...that didn't sound any better.

my carts, aren't exactly the best, and i'm looking to upgrade if i decide to keep this table. i've got an AT92E i picked up a year ago cuz, it was on sale..I've also got this RadioShack RX1500 which is a rebranded AT cart...i'm not even sure what model AT it was. it's a damn nice cartridge comapred to the 92E.

Back
Top Bottom