Denon DVD-5000

Discussion in 'DACs' started by SoNic67, May 14, 2017.

1. SoNic67

SoNic67 Well-Known Member

I kept hunting for a Denon DVD-5000 for a long time, didn't buy it when it was $170, I decided to pull the trigger at $250 (with shipping). Why? Well:
    1. It has digital inputs so it can be used as a DAC!
    2. It has AL24 Processing (I love it in my other Denon devices) for PCM sources and has the PMD-100 as HDCD decoder.
    3. It has four PCM1704 multibit DAC's (two per channel, each in differential mono mode).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's on the way. Hope that the laser is OK like the listing says, those are pricey. I won't use discs too much, but still, I like it functional.

Attached Files:

guiller, prisoners and E.Auer like this.
  2. nyhifihead

nyhifihead Well-Known Member

very cool, the hunt for a CDP with desirable DACs with a digital input is very rare.

I've had my eyes on the integra research rdv-1. It too has pcm1704s in dual differential and a digital input, very rare though

Looking forward to your findings, pcm1704s are my favorite chip

3. SoNic67

Yes, my present goto DAC is a Parasound with PCM63J-K, the precursors of PCM1704. However good they sound... I have a feeling that with the Denon DVD-5000 I would have to part with them :)

4. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it must be right... Subscriber

Looks like a sleeper!

5. SoNic67

Well I got it. Connected via coax and optical as a DAC works perfect. Doesn't read CD-R, but it does CD-Audio.
    As a DAC sounds superb. It plays 44.1, 48, 96kHz (16/24 bit) and can decode HDCD via the external input (I wasn't sure it can). I have still attached the SPDIF iPurifier but it doesn't seem that it is needed anymore (the DVD-5000 has a DSP). Maybe only for HDCD files...
    Took some pics, but the light is not that great now at night. It sits on top of the Denon DVD-3910 (that I use mostly for SACD).
    Can't have enough of that AL24 Processing :music:

The ChromeCast Audio plays correctly with BubbleUPnP and Hi-Fi Cast up to 96kHz/24bit. Hi-Fi Cast is gapless. Both are able to be bitperfect, passing even the HDCD flag.
    Google Play Music resamples everything to 48kHz... garbage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  6. belgianbrain

belgianbrain AK Subscriber Subscriber

Interesting...most people considered the PCM1704 a big step backwards from the PCM63, though!

What does the AL24 processing do?

7. SoNic67

It does the OS based on Denon algorithm, sounds better than the usual method. Plus it adds correctly bits for the intermediary steps created (expands from 16 bit to 20/24 bit, depending on the version). It's a link in my first post.

As for the PCM1704-J versus the PCM63-K... I can't tell the difference. Maybe because the DVD-5000 has two PCM1704-J on each channel, in differential mode, summed up. The Parasound has only one PCM63-K on each channel.
    Catalog data are basically identical for both, THD+N=100dB for the -K versions and 96dB for the -J ones. I think that the PCM63 is just more popular because it's easier for DIY to work with them. I have replaced my original -J with the -K without any soldering skills, they where installed in sockets. If I want to replace the PCM1704, I have to take my SMD solder kit out, the magnifier glass and pray for the best (my vision is not what it used to be) :D

8. nyhifihead

nyhifihead Well-Known Member

thanks for the findings @SoNic67 . Do you ever use USB audio? I'm sure that the DVD-5000 is resolving enough to benefit from an external digital interface such as singxer f1 which uses the new XMOS chipset. Many are very fond of it over at headfi

getting an external digital interface (gustard u12) and using USB over cat6 to take advantage of music server placement and galvanic isolation on the data stream.

Combination of the 2 gave my NOS dual differential 1704 DAC (Integra Research RDC) a clear sonic upgrade

9. SPL db

SPL db It's all about the music! Subscriber

I have a DVD-5000 that I plan on using as a DAC to my Denon DP-S1 if I ever get it to read discs.

10. SoNic67

I am using the Chromecast Audio (WiFi 5GHz). It's so nice to have the phone (Android) controling the music.
    I have also in the chain a SPDIF iPurifier, that I was using with the previous DAC. Maybe not as needed with the DVD-5000 but... since I already have it, why not.
    For whoever wants to use the USB from laptop, sure it is possible. But is not as friendly to me, when I am lying in bed with headphones on.
    I am streaming all the music from my DLNA server (Windows 10 PC), so I have converted the DSD files to PCM 96/24 (for some reason the 88.2kHz didn't play).