Denon MC retipping?

DustyOldPile

Vinyl Goddess
I have a pair of DL-300's, they've both developed what appears to be internal bad connections. I've double and triple checked the headshells and connections and all are in good order, but one or the other or both channels cuts out unless I tap on the headshell or cart body lightly with a pen or tweezers. I can limp along with one of them but wanted to send the other in for retipping anyway. Who's the best value (cost / workmanship ) for this kind of thing?h

Thanks. I don't feel comfortable cracking one open. Perhaps it's time to invest in a DL-301 MKII. This:

The only thing that might be in your favor is that tapping the headshell gets your cartridges to work, then it seems to me that the problem is probably the fly wire solder joint so they wouldn't have to be "rewound." Perhaps the solder joints just need to be refreshed on the inside of the pins.

sounds very likely to be the culprit.

what would happen if I applied the soldering iron tip to each of the pins without taking it apart? I suppose it could fix it, or it could make it worse.

what would happen if I applied the soldering iron tip to each of the pins without taking it apart? I suppose it could fix it, or it could make it worse.
I wouldn't do it. To reflow the solder properly you need to apply rosin flux over the old solder. You also want the iron tip right on the old solder bead for maximum heat transfer with minimal damage to the plastic bits.

For that matter, check the shell pins for continuity from one side of the bayonet to the other. I had one that was broken inside, believe it or not. FR64FX....not exactly a cheap shell, either.

I think you answered your own question. I mean, if one of them goes completely dead and tapping on the headshell no longer works, then maybe try since you'd have nothing to lose. Firstly, though, I'd solder all the tonearm wires to the wire terminals (not the cartridge pins, though) or just try brand new headshell wires.

I'm not completely convinced that you've identified the heart of the problem, though. Could it be that the interface between the headshell and the arm is bad? Weak contact springs in the arm? Dirt/tarnish in the socket? Tonearm wires and/or connections bad? What do other cartridges do in this set up?

I have a Shure V15 Type II mounted to a different headshell and it worked fine. The other Denon DL-300 is in yet another headshell and exhibited the same problems. One is an OEM PIoneer headshell, the other is a Toshiba. The Shure is mounted on yet another OEM Pioneer headshell, from a PL-55X but now on a PL-570 (earlier style).

I am considering starting fresh with a brand new headshell and leads and see where that goes.

Back
Top Bottom