Denon PMA-980R and problems with input selector? Here's the fix!

Thanks for the help, just now fixed a Denon PMA-2000R!

It was pretty simple to get the input selector switch out, which has its own little PCB.

Just take the case cover off.

Take out 8 screws holding the front panel on.

Also the ground strap screw.

Remove the Input selector switch's knob and retaining nut.

Tilt the front panel down and carfully reach in and pop the ISS board out from the 4 plastic hold downs.

Then you can undo the single wire harness going to it. Did not have to tilt amp to the side.

There was no extra metal bracket on the switch so no soldering required.

Although if you could remove the LEDs it would be way, waaay easier to get the metal pins that need to be
squeezed together, to slide out of the brown board the switch sits on! Just on the one side though, small needle nose fit just fine for the other side.

It seemed as though there was a residue of oil, maybe dialectric grease, coating parts of the switch? I simple wiped everything down with Iso-
alcohol, put back together, problem solved :)

Hello. I have a PMA 2000 IVR. After gaining access and removing the PCB I saw that the switch cover was not easy to remove..I didn’t want to try and squeeze the two metal pins, but I saw that it was easy to pry up the cover with a jewelers screwdriver. There is a round metal wavy ring above it the applies the pressure. I just sprayed contact cleaner into the gap and turned the knob continually. Then i flushed with Iso alcohol. Followed up with Deoxit Gold - let it seep in and turned the knob. It worked fine afterwards. Time will tell for how long.

Thanks superKris!! I fixed the issue with my old Kenwood KA 5090R - they used exactly the same switch at the time. Removing/Unsoldering the switch from the PCB helped a lot when trying to open it.

@jowkon: I would simply use isopropanol and some cotton buds:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/bottle-iso...=1491161860&sr=1-2&keywords=isopropyl+alcohol

Hello,

I am really sorry for posting on this old thread but I'm desperate. I recently bought Kenwood KA-5090R with this very issue. And while trying to perform this fix, as it tends to happen - I broke one side of the small plastic part which holds the metal cover with shaft. Attempted to glue it back together, but upon re-assemble, the issue was back - rapid switching between the input channels (it was working fine, when testing the connection before putting amp back together). Now, I would try to clean it once more and maybe bend the connectors inside to switch to ensure tighter connection, but as it is glued, I'm worried it will brake beyond putting back. So I am looking for a replacement options, - the exact switch (part No: S60-0032-05) seems to be obsolete. You mentioned, that Kenwood used the exact same switch as Denon from this post, but I remember that the Kenwood switch has two internal connectors, which push against the base plate with copper connections, while switch from this post seems to have only one.
I am writing this with hope, that someone has idea, where to get that switch or complete input selector module? Or what could be used for replacement? Internet, please help!

Thanks for posting this great walkthrough!
I used the same advice to fix a Denon PMA S10 II, and it went well. :)
It was even easier, since the switch isn't tied down by an external metal clamp.

Btw, since this thread is basically dead, if anyone has questions about doing this for the 955R, I can try and help.

My discord is sky#5212, try to reach me there if you want to.

Step 12:
- You can see the switch is really dirty. Clean it out usinf contact cleaner. Personaly i also used some steel wool (i hope you call it like that in english), but be very carfull not to scratch the steel too much.

attachment.php

Step 13:
- clean the small metal part on the green part.
- bend the metal part a litte bit more out, so you can be sure it will touch the disk of the other part.

attachment.php

Step 14:
- put the switch back together. IT will be very hard to bent the upper metal part back. Be carefull not to break anything. Its not very important you get it perfect. There is always the metal strip that holds it in place.
- bend the metal strip back, and solder it again

attachment.php

Step 15:
- put everything back togeter! Be carefull with the LEDs close to the selector buttons. Make sure the go in the right way.

Now everything should be working again!!!

Good luck!
Step 9:
- This is the switch we need to fix

attachment.php

Step 10:
- Take the solder of the big pins and bend them straight

attachment.php

Step 11:
- pull off the part from last step

attachment.php

- This is the hardest part. You have to bend the metal back that holds the metal part to the brown part. Be carefull with the brown part, it breaks easy!

attachment.php

attachment.php

- pull of the green disk.

attachment.php

Hello everyone, tell me how to disconnect this board? Is this board detachable? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom