Denon S730H - No sound from surround speakers

Hammerton

Hello. Apologies if my question has already been addressed in another thread. I searched but didn't find anything.

My issue: When I perform a test of each speaker, using the Denon menu on the tv screen, each speaker projects sound as it should. This means I have the speakers correctly connected, right? But when playing tv, Bluray, DVD, CD, etc there is no sound coming from the 2 surround speakers. Sound projects from the 2 front and center speakers, so I know the HDMI connection between the receiver and the TV is connected correctly and working. Same is true for the other devices I have connected to the receiver, like the CD player.

Am I correct in guessing that I need to change a setting on the Denon S730H? I have searched and searched through the manual but haven't found information on what setting I need to correct. (I will admit that I don't find the manual to be the most user friendly for troubleshooting; but that's probably just me.)

Thanks in advance for helping me figure out how to get sound from the 2 surround speakers!

Setup:

Denon S730H
65" TCL tv connected to Denon S730H via HDMI
2 DCM Time Window 3 front speakers (8 phms)
1 JBL J216 center speaker (8 ohms)
2 Sherwood Ravinia surround speakers (8 ohms)
1 Velodyne subwoofer (unsure of model)

No sound at all? Normally, the rear channels don't have too much to do.

CD's have no center or surround information at all. They are pure two channel.

How are the other components connected, and to what, and what type interconnects? The TV or the receiver.

Play a DVD that you know has sound in the rear channels. Usually, loud, overblown, action movies* are good candidates.

Last edited:
No sound at all from the surrounds.

The TV is connected to the receiver via HDMI.
The BluRay/DVD player is connected to the receiver via HDMI.
The CD player is connected to the receiver via TOSLINK.

Following your advice I played a Rambo DVD. No sound from the surrounds. Sound comes from the 2 front and center speakers, but not the surrounds.

I know I am repeating myself here, but I have performed Denon's speaker test using their on-screen guide a few times. It tests each speaker individually, and sound correctly comes from each speaker.

I'm baffled. (Which isn't saying much considering how little I know about electronics.)

Thanks

When going thru the speaker setup, does it give you the option to "save" that particular setting with the five speakers? If you don't save the new settings you are trying to apply, that might be something to look into.

Or... if you have the manual can you "reset" the receiver... thereby erasing all of the previous settings?

I'll try these suggestions sometime this week, as time allows, and report back if the problem is solved.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom