Deoxit Faderlube question

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by nightcat23, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:41 PM.

1. nightcat23

nightcat23 New Member

I cleaned the pots on one of my old receivers a while ago and noticed that some scratchiness has returned. I didn't use D5 as I couldn't find it anywhere locally but I did use just F5 fader lube. Did I damage anything by doing this? From what I understand f5 is just a lubricant while d5 cleans and lubricates. Would it be worth my while to pick up some D5 now? It is a little easier to come by here in Canada now, and I have some more receivers that are gonna need contact cleaning done.Just don't wanna damage anything, thats all.

Thanks

2. eizner23

eizner23 Active Member

I like to use d5 first to clean, Faderlube afterwards to lubricate.

8xlaxx likes this.
  3. triode17

triode17 Active Member

I find that scratchiness is caused by either dirt or poor tension of the contact wipers. If it keeps coming back after a good cleaning, sounds like poor tension and the pot. should be replaced.

4. nightcat23

nightcat23 New Member

the thing is, im not really sure the faderlube did much more than well.. lubing. That's why I am curious if faderlube is enough to even clean the pots. I guess if i did notice a difference in having less scratchiness after doing it tthat it must have done something. I am just wondering for the future, is it best to use faderlube, or to also use regular de-oxit d5 first.

5. triode17

triode17 Active Member

Use the D5 only. It's made to clean the contacts and lubricate them. Been using it for years. I think Faderlube is more for slide pots.