DeOxit Options

I use CRC cleaner all the time. Works great. I have never done a comparison between Deoxit Gold and the CRC lubricant. I've used both.

Used CRC Contact cleaner to clean up a pot in my preamp, worked fine. We have the stuff on hand as it is what we use for contacts and connectors in the cars.

DeOxit is too expensive. It works but so do others. That stuff is well over $20 a can now in Canada and I will not pay that much. I've read lately too that it's effect wears off quickly and needs frequent application.

What marketing strategy!

Whenever I meet a tech these days, I ask what they use for contact cleaner. Some in their 40's or 50's and some in their 80's but not one used DeOxit - all saying it's overpriced.

Those above all used an MG Chemical product (or products) which is close to half the price per can of DeOxit.

As far as I can tell, all contact cleaner are refrigerant based - DeOxit included. It however is supposed to contain mineral oil. Other cleaners can contain lubricants too like silicone, I doubt it matters.

Rather than depending on a spray tube, I've taken to applying contact cleaner with an insulin syringe. Sure cuts down on wastage.

How long do you wait to use the cry lube after you use the contact cleaner? An hour? Over night? Thank you.

How long do you wait to use the cry lube after you use the contact cleaner? An hour? Over night? Thank you.

The CRC cleaner dries out and evaporates fairly quickly.
I would say you can use the lube about 5 or 10 minutes after treating with the CRC.

After you've squirted the DeoxIT red,... I would work the switch or contacts gently. Then blow it out or wait until it has completely dried,...following up with this product:

CAI-F5S-H6-2.jpg

There are debates and threads all over AK about using these products. However, the Fader lube works great on switches and toggles. Check the Kenwood forum, I think there are a few threads in there about these products, IIRC.

EDIT: I have NO affiliation with Caig, but their products do work great! YMMV:angel:

Back
Top Bottom