Deoxit Question

OMI

Gonna get a can of Deoxit and was wondering what type I need to get. Is the 5% solution or the 100% solution best to get????

I prefer the Deoxit DN5...non-flammable. The D5 has some kind of a flammable petroleum base. Try to get the older type of DN5 can if you can...it has an adjustable valve and helps conserve the expensive product...it is too easy to waste it with the new valve if you are not real careful in pressing it.

Amplifier Cleaning

I have purchased a twenty year old amplifier from CudaKen. He said that it will need cleaing as it is very dusty. So far as I know there is only a power switch on the thing so no pots to clean. How should I go about cleaning the boards. Years ago I used a freon based product to do this -- evaporated very quickly. :thmbsp:

I also have a pair of Advents I plan to go through, would you recommend using a deoxit pen on the terminals for the drivers?

Deoxit is really just for contact/control cleaning...if it is just circuit board cleaning I just blow it out with canned air...I don't think there is really a need to clean with a solvent unless there is really mud or coke or some such sticky residue contaminating the boards. If such is necessary, I use Isopropyl alcohol and let it dry thoroughly.

Yes we have used a pen on contacts, however I think only a Pro Gold pen is made and not Deoxit...have also used a lint-free cloth saturated with a small amount of deoxit.

I have both ProGold and DeOxit in the pen, bought them both at the local Rat Shack -- Foe

cleaning stuff

dhayes5 said:
I have purchased a twenty year old amplifier from CudaKen. He said that it will need cleaing as it is very dusty. So far as I know there is only a power switch on the thing so no pots to clean. How should I go about cleaning the boards. Years ago I used a freon based product to do this -- evaporated very quickly. :thmbsp:

I also have a pair of Advents I plan to go through, would you recommend using a deoxit pen on the terminals for the drivers?

If you are a car guy you have an air compressor in your garage. I am and I do. Blowing the dust out is a snap with 100psi blast of air in short bursts at a foot away. Man the crud goes flyin and leaves a nice dust free interior. Then I get down closer around pots and switches and other cramped spaces all around the unit in process. Then like chad says a little isoprop alky on a small soft paintbrush or cotton swab will get most other stuckon crud. Works for me.

If using a compressor, you may want to check it to see if there is any oil/water residue in the air...some compressors I have used have some of this in the air if a dryer/filter is not used.

Back
Top Bottom