DeoxIT - Types & Formats

travellersol

There are mainly 4 types of DeoxITs according to https://system.na3.netsuite.com/cor...&c=ACCT113328&h=39a7ad1dcf8b316671a7&_xt=.pdf

D5 Spray, Gold G5, Shield S5, and Fader F5

If my understanding is correct, I should first use D5 to spray all the knobs, pots, and switches, then followed by ProLube or DeOxit GOLD. Is ProLube now called Fader?

In my country there's no one selling any DeoxIT products, so I'll have to buy through amazon or other sources and that brings the prices up a lot. If I only want to buy 2 products, should I get

D5 + Gold G5, or
D5 + Fader F5?

Also, all these are available in 5% spray, 100% spray, 100% solution, pen, wipe, and needle formats. May I know which ones are most essential, or where are they best used? If again, to minimize cost, what should I choose?

Thanks a lot.

First, the company's web site is
http://caig.com/

You should be able to find detailed information there. They do offer a wide array of formulas. I have used several of their products, mostly for standard old audio parts. If you were only buying one product, I would buy the 5% (D5). This is the spray with a solvent in it, when cleaning is needed. The "Gold" is 0.5%, similar solvents, and is more for preventive maintenance. You could, of course, just use less of the 5% ... An important question is "What type of equipment will I be using the product on?" They have separate formula for carbon sliders (different? no? solvent). If shipping is an issue, you might go with 100% to maximize shipping value, then you probably could combine this with a generic spray solvent. Shipping may be a challenge since many of their formulas have flammable solvents and other things that the shipping authorities are not so happy to ship :)

There are mainly 4 types of DeoxITs according to https://system.na3.netsuite.com/cor...&c=ACCT113328&h=39a7ad1dcf8b316671a7&_xt=.pdf

D5 Spray, Gold G5, Shield S5, and Fader F5

If my understanding is correct, I should first use D5 to spray all the knobs, pots, and switches, then followed by ProLube or DeOxit GOLD. Is ProLube now called Fader?

In my country there's no one selling any DeoxIT products, so I'll have to buy through amazon or other sources and that brings the prices up a lot. If I only want to buy 2 products, should I get

D5 + Gold G5, or
D5 + Fader F5?

Also, all these are available in 5% spray, 100% spray, 100% solution, pen, wipe, and needle formats. May I know which ones are most essential, or where are they best used? If again, to minimize cost, what should I choose?

Thanks a lot.
I don't know what you want to clean.
I think most people here use it to clean 1970s and 1980s amps.
For this after experimenting with many kinds I use F5 for cleaning carbon based pots and faders and F100 for lubricating. It worked best for me. Don't forget about compressed air after F5 and before F100. F5 alone does not lubricate enough on its own but the little lube it has prevents grinding down the pot while cleaning.
Also if it does not clean a pot in 2 cycles look for other causes like bad grounding or bad caps, don't use the whole can on it as I did at the beginning, save your money.

I would recommend D100 + Fader F5. D5 and Gold are more for newer equipment. D100 works much better on old equipment since most of it used silver and silver will tarnish black over time and it's very hard to remove. Fader offers more protection than Gold and again it works better on old equipment. I posted a picture of how bad a 40 year old switch can get which is why I'm part of the take apart and clean if you can group. Also, if you are dissassembling the unit, any of the liquid versions are better than the spray version (more precise and less mess).

On the pic of the switch, you could spray D5 all day and nothing would happen to the parts that are black.

IMAG0884.jpg IMAG0636.jpg

I think most people here use it to clean 1970s and 1980s amps.
For this after experimenting with many kinds I use F5 for cleaning carbon based pots and faders and F100 for lubricating. It worked best for me. Don't forget about compressed air after F5 and before F100. F5 alone does not lubricate enough on its own but the little lube it has prevents grinding down the pot while cleaning.
Yes I only use vintage gears like Sansui 7070 receiver, Marantz 1060, Rega Planar 3.
So if I understand it correctly, the F series is best for carbon parts, right? How do I know which pots or parts are carbon based?
You only use F, no needing any of the D and G series products?

I would recommend D100 + Fader F5.
On the pic of the switch, you could spray D5 all day and nothing would happen to the parts that are black.
Thanks. Since I use only vintage gears I'll skip the G series.
The photos you showed were they "before" or "after"?

I think all Japanese gear from 1970s use carbon based pots and faders from Alps or Noble, pretty much same stuff be it Yamaha or Sansui. I just found F5 better lubricating while cleaning than D5. But then must use F100 anyway.

For switches I use any contact cleaner then compressed air and after that D100 if I have it or any lube not necessarily F100.

BTW
Today I opened the rear chamber of the volume pot of Yamaha CR-1000. What do you guys use to clean a volume pot if you open it? Still deoxit or other liquids? Of course for cleaning properly with a wad of cotton.

are there any non aerosol versions of Deoxit D5/F5?
they're not available back home in india, and I just realized i cannot carry the cans I have with me home on a flight

are there any non aerosol versions of Deoxit D5/F5?
they're not available back home in india, and I just realized i cannot carry the cans I have with me home on a flight
Yes, they come in a small tube and they also come in a glass bottle (and several sized in between). The bottles, which is what I use, are 118ml and the small tubes are 2cc. I apply them with a syringe or a lint free swab depending on application. I would recommend getting Deoxit 100, Fader and Shield.

21_D100L-2-3.jpg
09_D100L-2C-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom