Depressing Movies

"Testament" and "Threads", were very effective movies that really took the fun out of nuclear war without resorting to stock footage and F/X. As depressingly effective as the subject matter deserves. Truely well done, but so draining that only the strongest, or the true masochist watches them twice.....

Holy cow how could I forget Love Story.
The end all of depressing flicks. I can hear that funeral march they call The Theme From Love Story, now.
Make it stop!

IMDB says Love Story was out in 1970 and is rated PG. I was 13 and my mother and I went to the movies. They came to a scene showing (married) Oliver and Jenny in bed together with naked shoulders showing above the sheets. She literally dragged me out of the theater! Times have changed...

IMDB says Love Story was out in 1970 and is rated PG. I was 13 and my mother and I went to the movies. They came to a scene showing (married) Oliver and Jenny in bed together with naked shoulders showing above the sheets. She literally dragged me out of the theater! Times have changed...
We are the same age, then. My mom HEARD about the scene, I had to wait until t.v.... Man, but the years fly!

My Grandmother told me stories about this movie scene in the 1940's .... she & my Grandfather were projectionist (their job, they would see the same movie every night at work). She used to tell me that you could hear the audience gasp! in shock.

Last edited:
The deer Hunter.
Bailed around 40 min, iirc, couldn't bear more. Mebbe someday I'll try again.

Otoh, I did get thru Manchester by the sea. A story about tragedy, loss, brotherly love and rescue.

Last edited:
+1 on Brian's Son and Million Dollar Baby.
"The Champ" with Jon Voight and Ricky Schroder. If that last scene doesn't get you nothing will.

The deer Hunter.
Bailed around 40 min, iirc, couldn't bear more. Mebbe someday I'll try again.

Otoh, I did get thru Manchester by the sea. A story about tragedy, loss, brotherly love and rescue.
I'm still telling myself that I will make it through "The Deer Hunter". Some day...... I'll have to read about "Manchester....."

"He not only plays, he can shoot, to".

+1 on Brian's Son and Million Dollar Baby.
"The Champ" with Jon Voight and Ricky Schroder. If that last scene doesn't get you nothing will.

At least Hillary Swank looked amazing, and she was "terminated with extreme prejudice...." I never saw "The Champ".

My Grandmother told me stories about this movie scene in the 1940's .... she & my Grandfather were projectionist (their job, they would see the same movie every night at work). She used to tell me that you could hear the audience gasp! in shock.

Did they screen "Inglorious Basterds"? Lol!

There's Nothing that would make a thirteen year old gasp these days; but I am still waiting for the perfect time to use Butler's "line".

The most depressing ones to me are the ones where life is so very unfair...
Birth of a Nation.
Chinatown.
The Elephant Man.
The Killing Fields.

A.I. (2001)
Yep - this one is my "go to" reference when this topic comes up in discussion. Kubrick worked on the screenplay for a long time, apparently never felt he could do the story justice with the computer animation he had available. Speilberg picked Haley Joel Osment (I see dead people...) instead of having an android play the part. It left me profoundly sad.

Another one for me is City Of Angels with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan. I hated the ending, though I'll admit it was the only one I could have come up with.

Back
Top Bottom